ALEKS Math PPL (Placement, Preparation, and Learning)
To better ensure student success, the University of Memphis has adopted a mandatory
placement assessment, known as ALEKS. Because students are admitted with a wide variety
of strengths and backgrounds in mathematics, it is reasonable to expect that there
will be various levels of readiness among students.
ALEKS is a powerful artificial intelligence based mechanism to assess math proficiency
and skill level. Please read carefully the information below regarding ALEKS. It is
important for success in mathematics that you enroll in a course for which you have
the necessary preparation and which leads to the math courses required for your particular
Your ALEKS score will indicate the course you are eligible to take. However, you may
enroll in a lower level math course after talking with your advisor.
Who must take ALEKS?
- All incoming first-year students must complete the ALEKS placement assessment.
- All incoming transfer students with no prior college-level coursework in math. It
is recommended for all transfer students to take the assessment if they need additional
math courses, or if the previous math course was taken more than one semester ago.
If the score on the assessment indicates a lack of preparedness for the course, the
student should seriously consider taking any missing prerequisites or taking the ALEKS
- All students enrolling in an entry level math course if they have not successfully
completed a prerequisite course with a C- or better.
When do I take ALEKS?
- Entering freshmen must complete the ALEKS assessment before attending New Student
- Students who need to enroll in a math course must complete the ALEKS assessment prior
to being advised.
How long do I have to complete the ALEKS assessment?
The ALEKS assessment must be completed within 72 hours after you log into the assessment.
Placement assessments require approximately 90 minutes to complete, but the amount
of time will vary by student. There will be a maximum of 30 questions.
How much does the ALEKS assessment cost?
Students are allowed to take the ALEKS assessment free of charge.
Is there a practice test for the ALEKS assessment?
ALEKS will begin with a brief tutorial before your placement begins.
Where do I take the ALEKS assessment?
Students take the ALEKS assessment from home by logging into the myMemphis portal.
- Please enter your UofM username and your password.
- The username corresponds to the letters appearing before "@memphis.edu" in your University
of Memphis email address.
- After logging into the myMemphis portal, click on the "Student" tab to locate the ALEKS channel.