Research opportunities abound for both graduate and undergraduate students at the
University of Memphis. Projects range from biology, chemistry and psychology to sport
sciences, computer sciences, engineering and women’s and children’s health. The U
of M received more than $54.2 million in external funding for research in 2006-07.
The FedEx Institute of Technology, located on the U of M campus, promotes the development
of new, interdisciplinary research centers within the Institute and across the University.
The Institute also supports the growth of existing research labs with technology tools,
in-kind contributions, professional services and marketing and public relations support.
The Institute also cultivates new research funds for its researchers through corporate
and government partners, and it supports economic development via technology transfer.
Some of the research centers and institutes include:
• Advanced Distributed Learning Workforce Co-Lab
• Advanced Learning Center
• Biosurface Center
• Center for Applied Spatial Analysis
• Center for Earthquake Research and Information
• Center for Healthcare and Technology
• Center for Information Assurance and Intelligent Security Systems Research Lab
• Center for Multimedia Arts
• Center for the Study of Rhetoric and Applied Communication
• Enterprise Simulation and Optimization Lab (eSOL)
• FedEx Center for Supply Chain Management
• Geographic Information Science
• Groundwater Institute
• Institute for Intelligent Systems
• Integrated Microscopy Center
• Musculoskeletal Resources
• Systems Testing Excellence Program (STEP)
• W. Harry Feinstone Center for Genomic Research
• Wireless Computing Center
The University of Memphis also provides state-of-the-art computing facilities for
student and faculty use, including two TigerLAN labs that are open 24 hours a day.
Fifty-five additional labs with more than 1,049 PC and Mac workstations and 210 “smart”
classrooms complement the University’s teaching and research activities. In addition,
all academic buildings offer wireless Internet access and all dorm rooms have Internet