The Tennessee Board of Regents understands that many Tennessee residents have limited
access to higher education due to job obligations, geographic location, family obligations,
and/or other restrictions which make on-campus attendance difficult and unlikely.
The Bachelor of Liberal Studies with a major in Interdisciplinary Studies is an online
undergraduate degree designed by the Regents Online Degree Programs to meet these
needs. The University College also offers this degree to University of Memphis students
who elect to take their courses on campus. It provides students the opportunity to
tailor make a degree program around a particular interest or career goal the other
majors at the university do not meet. Working within a structured format, students
select courses for their major from two distinct/different departments.
Students interested in pursuing the Interdisciplinary Studies major must first be
admitted to the University of Memphis. Please see instructions "How to get started"
below. The Baccalaureate Contract serves as a proposal for the degree requirements
and, when approved, is a student's "contract" with the University as to what their
specific degree requirements will be. The student's assigned adviser will explain
the contract and guide them through the process.
- Students should submit a baccalaureate contract no later than 30 days after acceptance
into University College.
- The proposed degree will require the successful completion of 120 credit-hours allocated
- General Education Courses (35-41 hours)
- Interdisciplinary Major (36 hours)
- 24 upper division hours (12 each from two different departments)
- 12 hours upper division electives
- University College Requirements (9 hours)
- 6 hours of thematic studies
- 3 hours senior project (RODP section fees apply)
- General Electives (34-40 hours)
- Students must have a minimum of 9 graded hours from the University of Memphis in the
- Students may take no more than 21 upper division hours of course work from the College
- Students may have only 3 internship credit hours and they may only be used in the
upper division electives category of the contract.
- Students must complete at least 60 hours from a four-year institution.
- Students must complete at least 45 hours of upper division credit (3000-4000).
- Students must complete at least 30 of last 60 hours at The University of Memphis.
- Students must have an overall cumulative GPA of 2.0 and at least a 2.0 in the major
- The baccalaureate contract must be fully typed, be grammatically correct and free
of typographical errors.
- The first page of the contract is NOT the full contract. All four pages of the contract
constitute the full document.
- Students will not have an official degree plan until all levels of approval have been
successfully attained. Without an approved degree plan/contract, students WILL NOT:
- be advised,
- be cleared to register,
- be allowed to file an Intent to Graduate form or issued a permit for UNIV 4995-Senior
- receive a degree plan for financial aid purposes,
- receive a graduation checkout, or
- be permitted to graduate.
- After the contract has successfully made it through all levels of approval, a copy
will be mailed to the student. The original will be placed in the University College
- Final approval of the baccalaureate contract may take up to eight weeks from the time
it is submitted to University College. PLEASE DO NOT RUSH OR OTHERWISE ATTEMPT TO
MANIPULATE THIS PROCESS.
- If students need to change a course once the contract is approved, they may petition
for a change by submitting a Course Substitution Request form.
- Students who wish to pursue this degree are not required to take any online courses
with the exception of the Senior Project, UNIV 4995. Students are allowed to take
a combination of online and on-campus courses if this meets their schedule needs.
Interdisciplinary Studies (RODP) Baccalaureate Contract [ PDF ] [ Word ]
How to get started WORD | PDF