University College
University of Memphis Photo
The Baccalaureate Contract Program


  • In order to design your own degree, you must first be admitted to the University of Memphis. You can start an application by following the link to the right.
  • Once you have received your acceptance letter from the University of Memphis, you must declare a major in University College by submitting the University College Declaration of Major form.
  • You must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.500 or above to be eligible for the Baccalaureate Contract Program.
  • Your proposed degree will require the successful completion of 120 credit-hours which are to be allocated as follows:
    • General Education Courses (35-41 hrs)
    • Upper-Division Coordinated Study (Major) Courses (33 hrs)
      • Grade of C- or better is required
    • Thematic Studies Courses (6 hrs)
    • Senior Project (3 hrs)
    • General Elective Courses (36-42 hrs)
  • Your coordinated study (major) must be interdisciplinary, meaning it must be comprised of upper-division courses from two or more separate and distinct disciplines/departments.
    • No more than 21 hours of course work from any one academic area can be applied towards the coordinated study.
    • Students must earn at least 9 graded hours from the University of Memphis.
    • A minimum 2.25 GPA is required within the coordinated study.
  • Your baccalaureate contract must be fully typed. Please proofread thoroughly.
  • You will not have an official degree plan until your contract has been approved. Without an approved degree plan/contract, you WILL NOT:
    • be advised,
    • be cleared to register,
    • be allowed to file an intent to graduate form or issued a permit for UNIV 4995 - Senior Project,
    • receive a degree plan for financial aid purposes,
    • receive a graduation checkout, or
    • be permitted to graduate.
  • After your contract has been approved, a copy will be emailed to your email account. The original contract will be placed in your University College student file.
  • Final approval of your baccalaureate contract may take up to eight weeks from the time it is received by University College.
  • If you would like to change a course in your coordinated study once your contract is approved, you may petition for a change by submitting a Course Substitution Request form. You should discuss these requests with an advisor and submit the appropriate form.
    • Have your faculty member sign the form and return it to University College.

By clicking the " I Understand " button, below, you are certifying that you have read, understand, and will abide by all of the policies and guidelines set forth above in the preparation of your baccalaureate contract.

Important Forms

sample Baccalaureate Contract

 Start a Baccalaureate Contract

(Note: Document must be downloaded and saved to your desktop before you enter your information.  Form can not be completed through web link. Carefully review additional submission directions on the last page of the document.)

Contract Submission Deadline

Summer Graduation - February 15th
Fall Graduation - May 15th
Spring Graduation - September 15th
Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2015 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Last Updated: 3/10/15