Memphis has a thriving arts community with lots of theatre venues and companies offering
a wide variety of theatre. There is an extraordinary amount of theatre happening in
Memphis for the size of the city.
The Department of Theatre & Dance at the University of Memphis, has cultivated strong
relationships between the department and the many theatres in town. Offering ample
opportunities for student actors, designers and directors to be hired at theatres
outside of the department.
Playhouse on the Square and Circuit Playhouse
- Recently celebrated its 35 anniversary and the opening of its new state-of-the-art
facility in mid-town Memphis.
- Developed and Hosts UPTAS every year bringing major companies from around the country
- One of the oldest and most successful community theatres in the country.
- Created the Ballew Fellowship for U of M students.
- Produces on two different stages; the Lohrey Stage and Next Stage.
- At one time was known to have the strongest subscriber base in the country.
TheatreWorks and Evergreen
- Serve as an incubator for the growth of smaller theatre companies, niche companies,
giving Memphis a rich variety of theatre and artists a place to realize their dreams.
- A black repertory theatre.
- Developing black theatre that is accessible, reflective, and relevant of a multicultural
Voices of the South
- Founded by U of M alums
- Created an internship with the Department of Theatre & Dance
- Recently had a show open off-Broadway in NYC.
- Currently touring the United States as guests of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
in celebration of the 50th anniversary if the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
- A modern dance company founded by U of M alums
- Recently celebrated 20 anniversary
The Orpheum Theatre
- Major Broadway touring house in downtown Memphis
- Offers student rush tickets to national Broadway tours
There is an array of community theatres in the surrounding areas:
Germantown Community Theatre
Bartlett Community Theatre
Desoto Family Theatre
Along with community theatres there are also several performing arts centers:
Germantown Performing Arts Center
Bartlett Performing Arts Center
Buckman Performing Arts Center
Memphis theatre has a long strong history and this is a very exciting time for the
arts community in Memphis. Recently Memphis Mayor A.C. Wharton, in an interview strongly supported for the arts and artists living in the city.