- Counseling - Providing academic and career counseling, SSP retention counselors assist students
in exploring interests, aptitudes and skills to make informed decisions when selecting
majors or career paths. Retention Counselors are also trained to help identify personal
issues that may become barriers to student success. They can refer students to various
departments within the university who provide individualized personal counseling and
support, such as the Counseling, Tutoring and Testing.
- Walk-In Lab - Program participants have the privilege of using computers reserved for their use.
State-of-the-art computers, Internet access, and a wide range of software options
are all available to SSP students in the Lab.
- Financial Assistance - Assist students in securing the most appropriate financial resources available
through individual counseling, programs resources and referral. The department works
as a liaison with the University's Student Financial Aid Office and community financial
support agencies to guide students through the financial aspects of college.
- SSP Workshops - SSP offers a wide variety of workshops that will aid participants throughout their
college experience. Workshops vary in dates, times, and topics and seek to enhance
both your academic and personal development.
- Cultural Activities - SSP offers cultural activities and free social events throughout the year to enhance
the students' experience and awareness of the cultural richness in the Memphis region.
These activities are designed to bring students, family, SSP staff, and the general
campus community together informally.
- Resource Library - Through support from the University, SSP is able to provide a number of resources
for our TRIO participants to checkout, including calculators and textbooks.
Our goal is to provide SSP students with the support and skills needed to remain and be successful in college and complete a baccalaureate degree.