- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Program on Healthy Aging, Texas A &M Health Science Center
School of Rural Public Health
- Ph.D., Health Services Research, Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Rural Public
- M.P.S.A., Public Service and Administration, Texas A&M University Bush School of Government
and Public Service
- B.A., English, Sejong University, Seoul, Korea
- Aging and long-term care policy
- Community gardening
- Obesity and lifestyle risk factors
- Chronic disease self-management
- Informal and formal health care
- Doctor-patient interactions
- Global health
- Ahn, S., Zhao, H., Tai-Seale, M., Huber, C., Smith, M. L., Ory, M. G., & Phillips C. D. (2012).
The Longitudinal Effects of Health, Behavioral, Demographic, andSocial Factors on
Body Mass Index among Older Chinese Adults. International Journal of Public Health,
- Ahn, S., Hochhalter, A., Moudouni, D., Smith, M. L., & Ory, M. G. (2012). Self-reported physical
and mental health of older adults: the roles of caregiving and resources. Maturitas,
- Ahn, S. & Ashida, S. (2012). Music Therapy for Dementia. Maturitas, 71, 6-7.
- Ahn S., Smith M. L., Dickerson J. B., Ory M. G. (2012). Health and Healthcare Utilization
Correlates among Middle-Aged Baby Boomers and Older Adults: Factors Associated with
Obesity and Diabetes. American Journal of Health Promotion, 27(2), 123-132.
- Ahn, S., Smith, M. L., & Ory, M. G. (2012). Physicians' Discussions about Body Weight, Healthy
Diet, and Physical Activity with Overweight or Obese Older Patients. Journal of Aging & Health,
- Ahn, S., Sharkey, J. R., Smith, M. L., Ory, M. G., & Phillips, C. D. (2011). Variations in
Body Mass Index among Older Americans: The Roles of Social and Lifestyle Factors.
Journal of Aging & Health, 23(2), 347-366.
- Ahn, S., Zhao, H., Smith, M. L., Ory, M. G., & Phillips, C. D. (2011). BMI and Lifestyle
Changes as Correlates to Changes in Self-Reported Diagnosis of Hypertension among
Older Chinese Adults. Journal of the American Society of Hypertension, 5(1), 21-30.
- Ahn, S., Burdine, J. N., Smith, L. M., Ory, M. G., & Phillips, C. D. (2011).Residential Rurality
and Oral Health Disparities: Influences of Contextual and Individual Factors. Journal
of Primary Prevention, 32(1), 29-41.
- Ahn, S., Phillips, K., Smith, M. L., & Ory, M. G. (2011). Correlates of volunteering among
aging Texans: The roles of health indicators, spirituality, and social engagement.
Maturitas, 69, 257-262.
- Ahn, S., M. Tai-Seale, C. Huber, Smith, M. L., & Ory, M. G. (2011). PsychotropicMedication
Discussions in Older Adults' Primary Care Office Visits: So Much To Do, So Little
Time. Aging & Mental Health, 15(5), 618-629.
- Ahn, S., Huber Jr., C., Smith, M. L., Ory, M. G., & Phillips, C. D. (2011). Predictors of
Body Mass Index among Low-Income Community-Dwelling Older Adults. Journal of Health
Care for the Poor and Underserved, 22, 1190-1204.
- Co-Investigator (K. Ward, P.I.). “Developing a Tailored Clinical Decision Support
System for Pediatric Obesity Screening and Treatment.” FedEx Institute Technology
Grant. $15,631 direct costs.
- Program Evaluator. “ChurchHealthCenter’s Diabetic Obesity Weight Loss Pilot Program–Healthy
Living.” BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Health Foundation. $5,625 direct costs.
- Subcontractor (M.G. Ory, P.I.). “Communities Putting Prevention to Work; Chronic Disease
Self-Management Program.” National Council on Aging. $20,901 direct costs, $23,597
total costs (2011-2012).
- HADM 7105: Health Policy and the Organization of Health Services
- HADM 6101: Health Systems
- PUBH 7204: Aging, Public Health, and Health Services