The University of Memphis School of Public Health is dedicated to excellence in education,
research, and outreach to improve public health and promote health equity by generating
knowledge and translating research discoveries in our community, our state, and throughout
1. Train the next generation of students in population health by providing the highest
quality education and practice opportunities in theories, approaches, methods, and
other substantive issues pertinent to public health.
2. Create an environment conducive to interdisciplinary public health initiatives,
with special emphasis on vulnerable populations who suffer disproportionately from
illness and disability.
3. Stimulate collaboration with the community to develop effective partnerships in
combating the health challenges in our communities, city, state, and region.
4. Prepare future leaders in public health by supporting interdisciplinary research
focused on health equity to develop behavioral, community, structural, and health
services interventions that address disparities.
5. Inform public policy, disseminate health information, and increase awareness of
public health concerns through disease surveillance, needs assessments, and program