Latrice C. Pichon, PhD, MPH, CHES
Assistant Professor of Social and Behavioral Sciences
Robison Hall 209
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Kellogg Health Scholars Program (Community Track), University
of Michigan School of Public Health
- PhD, Public Health (Health Behavior)
- Joint Doctoral Program in Public Health at San Diego State University/ University
of California, San Diego
- MPH – San Diego State University, Graduate School of Public Health - Concentration:
- Community-Based Participatory Research (CBPR)
- Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Health
- HIV and Cancer Prevention
- Williams, TT, Pichon, LC, Latkin, CA, Davey-Rothwell, M. Church Attendance as a Predictor of Number of Sexual
Health Topics Discussed among High Risk HIV Negative Black Women. Archives of Sexual
Behavior. (accepted 12/08/14)
- Morrell, KR, Pichon, LC, Chapple-McGruder, T, Kmet, JM, Chandler, A, Terry, ML. (2014). Prevalence and Correlates
of HIV-Risk Behaviors among Homeless Adults in Memphis, Tennessee. Journal of Health
Disparities Research and Practice, 7(1), 84-96.
- Hall, H and Pichon, LC. (2014) Gender Roles, Sociosexuality, and Sexual Behavior among U.S. Black Women.
Health Psychology and Behavioral Medicine, 2:1, 171-182.
- Williams, TT, Pichon, LC, Campbell, B. (2014). Sexual Health Communication within Religious African American
Families. Health Communication. 1-11. DOI:10.1080/10410236.2013.856743.
- Williams, TT, Pichon, LC, Latkin, CA, Davey-Rothwell, M. Practicing What is Preached: Congregational Characteristics
Related to HIV Testing Behaviors and HIV Discussions among Black Women. Journal of
Community Psychology, 42(3), 365-378. DOI:10.1002/jcop.21615.
- Teti, M., Pichon, LC, Kabel, A., Farnan, R., and Binson, D. (2013). Taking pictures to take control: Photovoice
as a tool to facilitate empowerment among poor and racial/ethnic minority women with
HIV/AIDS. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 24(6), 539-553.
- Landrine, H, Corral, H, Roesch, S, Adams-Simms, D., Ake, D, Pichon, LC. (2013). Do telephone surveys underestimate Black health disparities? Community-based
participatory research as an alternative survey methodology. Frontiers in Epidemiology.
- Pichon, LC, Williams, TT, Campbell, B. Faith Leaders Beliefs Concerning HIV Prevention—30 Years
into the Epidemic. (2013). Family & Community Health, 36(3), 260-268.
- Williams, TT, Dodd, D, Campbell, B, Pichon, LC, Griffith, DM. (2012). Discussing adolescent sexual health in African American churches.
Journal of Religion and Health. DOI:10.1007/s10943-012-9632-7.
- Williams, TT, Griffith, DM, Pichon, LC, Campbell, B, Allen, JO, Sanchez, JC. (2011). Involving Faith-Based Organizations
in Adolescent HIV Prevention. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research,
Education, and Action, 5(4), 425-431.
- Pichon, LC, Griffith, DM, Campbell, B, Allen, JO, Williams, TT, and Addo, A. (2012). Faith leaders’
comfort level implementing an HIV prevention curriculum in a faith setting. Journal
of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 23(3), 1254-1256.
- Griffith, D. M., Pichon, L. C., Campbell, B., & Allen, J. O. (2010). YOUR Blessed Health: A faith-based CBPR approach
to addressing HIV/AIDS among African Americans. AIDS Education and Prevention, 22(3),
- Pichon, L., Corral, I, Landrine, H, Mayer, J, Adams-Simms, D. (2010). Perceived skin cancer
risk and sunscreen use among Black adults. Journal of Health Psychology, 15(8), 1181-1189.
- Pichon, L., Landrine, H., Corral, I., Hao, Y., Mayer, J. Hoerster, K. (2010). Measuring skin
cancer risk in African Americans: Is the Fitzpatrick Scale culturally-sensitive? Ethnicity
& Disease, 20(2), 5-8.
- Pichon, L.C., Corral, I., Landrine, H., Mayer, J.A., Norman, G.J. (2010). Prevalence and correlates
of sun protection behaviors among African Americans. American Journal of Preventive
Medicine, 38(3), 288-95.
- Pichon, L.C., Mayer, J.A., Hoerster, K.D., Woodruff, S.I., Slymen, D.J., Belch, G.E., Clapp, E.J.,
Hurd, A.L., Forster, J.L., & Weinstock, M.A. (2009). Youth access to artificial ultraviolet
radiation exposure: Practices of 3,647 indoor tanning facilities. Archives of Dermatology,
- Pichon, L.C., Arredondo, E.M., Roesch, S., Sallis, J.F., Ayala, G.X., Elder, J.P. (2007). The
relation of acculturation to Latinas’ perceived neighborhood safety and physical activity:
A structural equation analysis. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 34(3), 295-303.
- Pichon, L., Mayer, J., Slymen, D., Elder, J., Lewis, E., Galindo, G. (2005). Ethnoracial differences
among outdoor workers in key sun-safety behaviors. American Journal of Preventive
Medicine, 28(4), 374-380.
PUBH 7340/8340 — Behavioral Intervention Development
PUBH 7334/8334 — Community-Based Participatory Research
PUBH 7160/8160 — Social and Behavioral Science Principles
Latrice C. Pichon, PhD, MPH, is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Social and Behavioral Sciences, School
of Public Health. She completed her PhD in Public Health with a concentration in Health
Behavior from the Joint Doctoral Program in Public Health at San Diego State University
and the University of California, San Diego in August of 2008. She received post-doctoral
training in community-based participatory research (CBPR) in the Kellogg Health Scholars
Program at the University of Michigan School of Public Health. Her research focuses
on exploring the role of the faith-based community in addressing HIV awareness and
prevention, partnering with community-based organizations to understand HIV outreach,
care, and utilization needs among vulnerable populations, and using the application
of community-based participatory research (CBPR) approaches.