|James G. Gurney, Ph.D.
Director of Research, School of Public Health
Professor, Division of Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Environmental Health Sciences
Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Robison Hall 228Curriculum Vitae
- Ph.D., Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle
- M.S, Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle
- M.S.W., School of Social Work, University of Washington, Seattle
- B.A., Liberal Studies, Antioch University, Seattle
- A.A.S., Chemical Technology, Seattle Central Community College, Seattle
- Cancer epidemiology and survivorship, including long-term treatment-related outcomes
in children and adults
- Health, psychosocial, and functional outcomes related to chronic diseases and conditions
in children and adolescents, including sickle cell disease, complex congenital heart
disease, obesity and metabolic disorders, autism, trauma
- Causal inference, bias, and methodological issues in the design, analysis, and interpretation
of clinical and epidemiologic research studies
- Epidemiologic Methods: Causation and Bias
- Clinical Epidemiology
- Lee JM, Gebremariam A, Vijan S, Gurney JG. Excess body mass index-years, a measure of degree and duration of excess weight,
and risk for incident diabetes. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med, 2012;166:42-48.
- Goldstein BH, Sandelin AM, Golbus JR, Warnke N, Gooding L, King KK, Donohue JE, Yu
S, Gurney JG, Goldberg CS, Rocchini AP, Charpie JR. Impact of vitamin C on endothelial function
and exercise capacity in patients with a Fontan circulation. Congenital Heart Dis
- Gaies MG, Clarke NS, Donohue JE, Gurney JG, Charpie JR, Hirsch JC. Personnel and unit factors impacting outcome after cardiac
arrest in a dedicated pediatric cardiac intensive care unit. Pediatr Crit Care Med
- Cornell TT, Sun L, Hall MW, Gurney JG, Ashbrook MJ, Ohye RG, Shanley TP. Clinical implications and molecular mechanisms
of immunoparalysis following cardiopulmonary bypass. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012;143:1160-1166.
- Gurney JG, Bass JK. The new International Society of Pediatric Oncology Boston ototoxicity
grading scale for pediatric oncology: Still room for improvement. J Clin Oncol 2012;30:2303-2306.
- Peterson CC, Cousino MK, Donohue JE, Schmidt ML, Gurney JG. Discordant parent reports of family functioning following childhood neuroblastoma:
A report from the Children’s Oncology Group. J Psychosoc Oncol 2012;30:503-518.
- Gurney JG, Ojha RP, Ness KK, Huang S, Sharma S, Robison LL, Hudson MM, Kaste SC. Abdominal
aortic calcification in young adult survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia:
Results from the St. Jude Lifetime Cohort Study. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2012;59:1307-1309.
- Zampi J, Donohue J, Yu S, Hanauer D, LaPage M, Gurney JG, Hirsch J, Charpie JR. Junctional ectopic tachycardia (JET) after infant heart surgery:
incidence and outcomes. Pediatr Cardiol 2012;33:1362-1369.
- Ojha RP, Oancea SC, Ness KK, Lanctot JQ, Srivastava DK, Robison LL, Hudson MM, Gurney JG. Assessment of potential bias from non-participation in a dynamic cohort of long-term
childhood cancer survivors: Results from the St. Jude Lifetime Cohort Study. Pediatr
Blood Cancer 2013;60:856-864.
- Lee JM, Gebremariam A, Woolford SJ, Tarini BA, Valerio MA, Bahir S, Eason AJ, Choi
PY, Gurney JG. A risk score for identifying overweight adolescents with dysglycemia in primary
care settings. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 2013;26:477-488.
- Ojha RP, Tota JE, Offutt-Powell TN, Klosky JL, Ashokkumar R, Gurney JG. The accuracy of human papillomavirus vaccination status based on adult proxy recall
or household immunization records for adolescent females in the United States: Results
from the National Immunization Survey-Teen. Annals Epidemiol 2013;23:281-285.
- Hudson MM, Ness KK, Gurney JG, Mulrooney DA, Chemaitilly W, Krull KR, Green DM, Armstrong GT, Nottage KA, Jones
KE, Sklar CA, Srivastava DK, Robison LL. Clinical ascertainment of health outcomes
among adults treated for childhood cancer. JAMA 2013;309:2371-2381.
- Ojha RP, Gurney JG, Green DM. Clinical prediction models for anthracycline-associated cardiotoxicity
among pediatric cancer survivors – Ready for prime time? Pediatr Blood Cancer 2013
- Nottage K, Gurney JG, Smeltzer M, Castellanos M, Hudson MM, Hankins JS. Trends in transfusion burden among
long-term survivors of childhood hematological malignancies. Leuk Lymphoma 2013 (in
- Ojha RP, Gurney JG. The methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) C677T polymorphism and mortality
in pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A systematic review. Leuk Lymphoma (in
- Ness KK, Jones KE, Smith WA, Spunt SL, Wilson CL, Armstrong GA, Srivastava DK, Robison
LL, Hudson MM, Gurney JG. Chemotherapy-related neuropathic symptoms and functional impairment in adult survivors
of extracranial tumors of childhood: Results from the St. Jude Lifetime Cohort Study.
Arch Phys Med Rehab 2013 (in press).
- Ojha RP, Tota JE, Offutt-Powell TN, Klosky JL, Minniear TD, Jackson BE, Gurney JG. Human papillomavirus-associated subsequent malignancies among long-term survivors
of pediatric and young adult cancers. PLOS One 2013 (in press).
James G. Gurney, Ph.D. is the Hardin Endowed Professor and Director of Research in the School of Public
Health at the University of Memphis. He also is an Adjunct Clinical Faculty Member
at St. Jude Children’s Research in the Department of Epidemiology and Cancer Control
in Memphis. Although very interested in population health issues, Dr. Gurney has focused
most of his career on conducting research in clinical settings, especially pediatric
hospitals and medical schools, with an emphasis on long-term adverse health outcomes
from chronic diseases of childhood and adolescence. Dr. Gurney is a Co-Principal Investigator
of the newly developed Sickle Cell Clinical Research and Intervention Program at St.
Jude in the Department of Hematology and is Co-Investigator for the St. Jude Lifetime
Cohort Study, a comprehensive health follow-up study of adult survivors of childhood
cancer. He currently serves on the core Data Safety Monitoring Board for the NIH National
Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke; is on the Scientific Advisory Board
of the Central Brain Tumor Registry of the United States; is Associate Editor and
Editorial Board Member for the Annals of Epidemiology; and is an elected Fellow of
the American College of Epidemiology.