|James G. Gurney, Ph.D.
Associate Dean and Director of Research
School of Public Health
Professor, Division of Epidemiology, Biostatistics,
and Environmental Health Sciences
Contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Robison Hall 228Curriculum Vitae
- Ph.D., Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle
- M.S, Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Washington, Seattle
- M.S.W., School of Social Work, University of Washington, Seattle
- B.A., Liberal Studies, Antioch University, Seattle
- A.A.S., Chemical Technology, Seattle Central Community College, Seattle
- Cancer epidemiology and survivorship, including long-term treatment-related outcomes
in children and adults
- Health, psychosocial, and functional outcomes related to chronic diseases and conditions
in children and adolescents, including sickle cell disease, complex congenital heart
disease, obesity and metabolic disorders, autism, trauma
- Causal inference, bias, and methodological issues in the design, analysis, and interpretation
of clinical and epidemiologic research studies
- Epidemiologic Methods: Causation and Bias
- Clinical Epidemiology
James G. Gurney, Ph.D. – Hardin Endowed Professor and Associate Dean for the School of Public Health. Dr.
Gurney is an epidemiologist and health services researcher with extensive experience
conducting multidisciplinary research, often in clinical settings, on health outcomes
among children with chronic conditions such as cancer and complex congenital heart
disease. In particular, he is an expert on long-term adverse medical and psychosocial
effects of cancer treatment among childhood cancer survivors. Dr. Gurney is an adjunct
faculty member at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital where he collaborates on studies
of cancer survivorship and health effects of sickle cell disease. He also has research
experience in autism, childhood asthma, and pediatric and adolescent dysglycemia related
to obesity. Dr. Gurney’s research has been funded by a variety of sources, including
the National Institutes of Health, the American Cancer Society, Hope Street Kids,
the Children’s Cancer Research Fund, several state health departments, and most recently,
the FedEx Institute of Technology at the University of Memphis. Dr. Gurney is a core
member of the Data Safety Monitoring Board for the National Institute of Neurological
Diseases and Stroke, is on the Scientific Advisory Board of the Central Brain Tumor
Registry of the United States, and is a frequent member of scientific peer review
panels for the National Institutes of Health and other institutions and foundations
nationally and internationally.
Selected Publications (2012-2014)
- Gurney JG, Kaste SC, Liu W, Srivastava DK, Chemaitilly W, Ness KK, Lanctot JQ, Ojha RP, Nottage
KA, Wilson CL, Li Z, Robison LL, Hudson MM. Bone mineral density among long-term survivors
of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: Results from the St. Jude Lifetime Cohort
Study. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2014 (in press).
- Gurney JG, Bass JK, Onar-Thomas A, Huang J, Chintagumpala M, Bouffet E, Hassall T, Gururangan
S, Health JA, Kellie S, Cohn R, Fisher MJ, Pai Panandiker A, Merchant TE, Srinivasan
A, Wemore C, Qaddoumi I, Stewart CF, Armstrong GT, Broniscer A, Gajjar A. Evaluation
of amifostine for protection against cisplatin-induced serious hearing loss in children
treated for average-risk or high-risk medulloblastoma. Neuro-Oncol 2014;doi: 10.1093/neuonc/not241 (Epub ahead of print).
- Schreiber JE, Gurney JG, Palmer SL, Bass JK, Wang M, Chen S, Zhang H, Swain M, Chapieski ML, Bonner MJ, Mabbott
DJ, Knight S, Armstrong CL, Boyle R, Gajjar A. Examination of risk factors for intellectual
and academic outcomes following treatment for pediatric medulloblastoma. Neuro-Oncol 2014; doi:10.1093/neuonc/nou006 (Epub ahead of print).
- Oancea SC, Brinkman TM, Ness KK, Krull KR, Smith WA, Srivastava DK, Robison LL, Hudson
MM, Gurney JG. Emotional distress among adult childhood cancer survivors. J Cancer Surviv 2014;doi. 10.1007/s11764-013-0336-0 (Epub ahead of print).
- Landier W, Knight K, Wong FL, Lee J, Thomas O, Kim H, Kreissman SG, Schmidt ML, Chen
L, London WB, Gurney JG, Bhatia S. Ototoxicity in children with high-risk neuroblastoma – prevalence, risk
factors, and concordance of grading scales: A report from the Children’s Oncology
Group. J Clin Oncol 2014 doi: 10.1200/JCO.2013.51.2038 (Epub ahead of print).
- Ojha RP, Gurney JG. The methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) C677T polymorphism and mortality
in pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A systematic review. Leuk Lymphoma 2014;55:67-73.
- Bass JK, Huang J, Onar-Thomas A, Chang KW, Bhagat SP, Chintagumpala M, Bartels U,
Gururangan S, Hassall T, Heath JA, McCowage G, Cohn RJ, Fisher MJ, Robinson G, Broniscer
A, Gajjar A, Gurney JG. Concordance between the Chang and the International Society of Pediatric Oncology
(SIOP) ototoxicity grading scales in medulloblastoma patients treated with cisplatin.
Pediatr Blood Cancer 2013 (in press).
- Fox E, Mosse YP, Meany HM, Gurney JG, Khanna G, Jackson HA, Gordon G, Shusterman S, Park JR, Cohn SL, Adamson PC, McGrady
P, London WB, Maris JM, Balis FM. Time to disease progression in children with relapsed
or refractory neuroblastoma treated with ABT-751: A report from the Children’s Oncology
Group (ANBL0621). Pediatr Blood Cancer 2013;doi: 10.1002/pbc.24900 (Epub ahead of print).
- Hudson MM, Ness KK, Gurney JG, Mulrooney DA, Chemaitilly W, Krull KR, Green DM, Armstrong GT, Nottage KA, Jones
KE, Sklar CA, Srivastava DK, Robison LL. Clinical ascertainment of health outcomes
among adults treated for childhood cancer. JAMA 2013;309:2371-2381.
- Ojha RP, Gurney JG, Green DM. Clinical prediction models for anthracycline-associated cardiotoxicity
among pediatric cancer survivors – Ready for prime time? Pediatr Blood Cancer 2013;60:1245-1246.
- Nottage, KA, Hankins JS, Smeltzer M, Mzayek F, Wang WC, Aygun B, Gurney JG. Hydroxyurea use and hospitalization trends in a comprehensive pediatric sickle cell
program. PLoS One 2013 Aug 14;8(8):e72077. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0072077.
- Ojha RP, Tota JE, Offutt-Powell TN, Klosky JL, Minniear TD, Jackson BE, Gurney JG. Human papillomavirus-associated subsequent malignancies among long-term survivors
of pediatric and young adult cancers. PLoS One 2013 Aug 5;8(8):e70349. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0070349.
- Ness KK, Jones KE, Smith WA, Spunt SL, Wilson CL, Armstrong GA, Srivastava DK, Robison
LL, Hudson MM, Gurney JG. Chemotherapy-related neuropathic symptoms and functional impairment in adult survivors
of extracranial tumors of childhood: Results from the St. Jude Lifetime Cohort Study.
Arch Phys Med Rehab 2013;94:1451-1457.
- Lee JM, Gebremariam A, Woolford SJ, Tarini BA, Valerio MA, Bahir S, Eason AJ, Choi
PY, Gurney JG. A risk score for identifying overweight adolescents with dysglycemia in primary
care settings. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 2013;26:477-488.
- Ojha RP, Oancea SC, Ness KK, Lanctot JQ, Srivastava DK, Robison LL, Hudson MM, Gurney JG. Assessment of potential bias from non-participation in a dynamic cohort of long-term
childhood cancer survivors: Results from the St. Jude Lifetime Cohort Study. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2013;60:856-864.
- Ojha RP, Tota JE, Offutt-Powell TN, Klosky JL, Ashokkumar R, Gurney JG.The accuracy of human papillomavirus vaccination status based on adult proxy recall
or household immunization records for adolescent females in the United States: Results
from the National Immunization Survey-Teen. Annals Epidemiol 2013;23:281-285.
- Nottage K, Gurney JG, Smeltzer M, Castellanos M, Hudson MM, Hankins JS. Trends in transfusion burden among
long-term survivors of childhood hematological malignancies. Leuk Lymphoma 2013;54:1719-1723.
- Huang IC, Brinkman TM, Kenzik K, Gurney JG, Ness KK, Lanctot J, Shenkman E, Robison LL, Hudson MM, Krull KR. Association between
the prevalence of symptoms and health-related quality of life in adult survivors of
childhood cancer: A report from the St. Jude Lifetime Cohort Study. J Clin Oncol 2013:31:4242-4251.
- Krull KR, Brinkman TM, Li C, Armstrong GT, Ness KK, Srivastava DK, Gurney JG, Kimberg C, Krasin MJ, Pui CH, Robison LL, Hudson MM. Neurocognitive outcomes decades
after treatment for childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A report from the St.
Jude Lifetime Cohort Study. J Clin Oncol 2013;31:4407-4415.
- Gurney JG, Bass JK. The new International Society of Pediatric Oncology Boston ototoxicity
grading scale for pediatric oncology: Still room for improvement. J Clin Oncol 2012;30:2303-2306.
- Gurney JG, Ojha RP, Ness KK, Huang S, Sharma S, Robison LL, Hudson MM, Kaste SC. Abdominal
aortic calcification in young adult survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia:
Results from the St. Jude Lifetime Cohort Study. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2012;59:1307-1309.
- Peterson CC, Cousino MK, Donohue JE, Schmidt ML, Gurney JG. Discordant parent reports of family functioning following childhood neuroblastoma:
A report from the Children’s Oncology Group. J Psychosoc Oncol 2012;30:503-518.
- Lee JM, Gebremariam A, Vijan S, Gurney JG. Excess body mass index-years, a measure of degree and duration of excess weight,
and risk for incident diabetes. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2012;166:42-48.
- Goldstein BH, Sandelin AM, Golbus JR, Warnke N, Gooding L, King KK, Donohue JE, Yu
S, Gurney JG, Goldberg CS, Rocchini AP, Charpie JR. Impact of vitamin C on endothelial function
and exercise capacity in patients with a Fontan circulation. Congenital Heart Dis 2012;7:226-234.
- Gaies MG, Clarke NS, Donohue JE, Gurney JG, Charpie JR, Hirsch JC. Personnel and unit factors impacting outcome after cardiac
arrest in a dedicated pediatric cardiac intensive care unit. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2012;13:583-588.
- Cornell TT, Sun L, Hall MW, Gurney JG, Ashbrook MJ, Ohye RG, Shanley TP. Clinical implications and molecular mechanisms
of immunoparalysis following cardiopulmonary bypass. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012;143:1160-1166.
- Zampi J, Donohue J, Yu S, Hanauer D, LaPage M, Gurney JG, Hirsch J, Charpie JR. Junctional ectopic tachycardia (JET) after infant heart surgery:
incidence and outcomes. Pediatr Cardiol 2012;33:1362-1369.