Below is a list of errors you might encounter when trying to register for classes.
If you encounter an error not discussed here, of if you need further clarification,
contact the Registrar (901.678.2810 / firstname.lastname@example.org).
Academic Standing Prohibits Registration
Alternate PIN Screen
- No entry is valid: you need to be advised. Contact your advisor/advising unit to be
cleared to register.
Authorization Failure - Invalid Alternate PIN.
- No entry for Alternate PIN is valid. Contact your advisor/advising unit to be cleared
- You are trying to enroll in a course that is not appropriate for your student classification--Freshman,
Sophomore, Junior, Senior. (For example, if you have Sophomore standing or higher,
you cannot enroll in ACAD 1100.) You will not be able to register for this course
unless you receive a permit.
- All of the seats allotted for the section have been filled; you will not be able to
register for this section unless you receive a permit.
- You are attempting to add a course that requires one or more co-requisites, that is,
another course or courses that must be taken along with the course you have entered.
You need to add ALL required courses in one submission.
DUPL CRSE WITH SEC...
- You have already added this course. If you wish to change sections, perform drop-add
in one submission.
- You are trying to take a course/section which is not appropriate for your level--Undergraduate,
Graduate, or Law.
- You have added only the lecture or lab section of a course that requires that both
the lab and the lecture be taken together in the term. Add both sections in one submission.
- You have tried to enroll in a course that is restricted to a particular major or majors;
you cannot register for this course without a permit.
MAXIMUM HOURS EXCEEDED
- You may register for this section only if you have a permit.
PREQ and TEST SCORE-ERROR
- The registration system has no record of your having taken this course's required
prerequisite or having tested out of the prerequisite. Example, you want ENGL 1020
but you have neither passed ENGL 1010 (or its equivalent), nor tested out of ENGL
REPEAT COUNT EXCEEDS...
- Some courses may be repeated for credit, but only for a limited number of times. You
are attempting to add a course that you have already taken and passed for the limit.
To take it again, you will have to receive a permit.
TIME CONFLICT WITH ...
- You are trying to register for two or more courses whose meeting times overlap. Adjust
your schedule, or request a permit for a time conflict.
TOO MANY REGISTRATION ATTEMPTS
- The registration system allows you 1000 attempts at adding or dropping classes per
term. Once you exceed this maximum, you are "locked out" of that term's online registration. If
you are locked out, go to the Registrar's Office, 003 Wilder Tower for assistance.
You are only permitted to register for [11.999 or 8.999] hours due to outstanding
immunization requirements. Please submit proof of MMR if full-time registration is
- The University does not have a record of your Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR) immunization.
Unless this is on file with Student Health Services, you will be restricted to a part-time
course load. For more information, see Immunization: MMR.
You have attempted to access a disabled page.
- You entered something in the SEARCH field at the left-hand top of screen. This search
field has been disabled on all Self Service screens at the U of M because it allowed
students direct access to registration features they were not authorized to use.
You have no Registration Time Ticket. Please contact the registration administrator.
- You cannot register yet for one of these reasons: (1) You have not been fully accepted
for admission. Call Undergraduate Admissions at 901.678.2111 or Graduate Admissions
at 901.678.2911 to inquire about your admission status. (2) You need to be readmitted because you did not attend during the last Fall or Spring term. (3) It's too early
for someone in your classification to register. Refer to the term's Dates & Deadlines calendar for your first day to register.
You require re-admission prior to registration.