If you are the parent of a student and have claimed the student as a dependent for
tax purposes in the most recent tax year, you may request a copy of the student's
Follow these steps:
- Discuss your intentions with your student first. He/she may share the information
you need, avoiding further action on your part.
If you are particularly interested in your student's grades, we recommend you try
these approaches, in order, before proceeding to step 2:
- Ask your student to show you his or her grades on the online registration system.
If this isn't practical, then:
- Ask your student to complete a Consent to Release Education Record form; this completed form allows the Registrar to release a copy of his/her grades
to you. If your student is unwilling to complete this form, then, as a last resort,
proceed to step 2 below.
- If your student does not share the information as outlined in step 1, then obtain,
complete, and sign a Parent Request for Disclosure of Education Record Information and Certification of
Dependent Status form.
We are required to notify your student in writing that you have requested and will
be given a copy of the record, so you may want to give your student some advance warning.
- You may print the form from our website: Parent Request for Disclosure... (pdf)
Mail or deliver the form, with copies of (1) the dependents section of your most recent tax return and (2) your photo ID, to:
University of Memphis
Assistant Registrar - Student Records
003 Wilder Tower
Memphis, TN 38152-3520
- You may visit Student Records, 003 Wilder Tower, and complete a copy there. If you
complete a copy in person, please bring a photo ID (ex., drivers license) for identification and a copy of the dependents section of your most recent tax return.
Here are two important points to remember when requesting the release of your student's
- Completing the Parent Request for Disclosure form allows us to release your student's information for the academic terms covered
by the tax year for which you claimed your student as a dependent. If you need access
next year, you will have to complete another form at that time.
- Even if we have received a completed Parent Request for Disclosure form from you, or a completed Consent to Release Education Record form from your student, we do not automatically release grades or other student information.
You must contact us each time that you want the information.
Student Education Records
UM FERPA Compliance Policy
Release of Student Education Record
Annual Notice: Student FERPA Rights
Student's Release Authorization