If all of the students in a class are attending, you do not have to take any action
for that class: attendance is assumed for all of the students unless you indicate
Use the Attendance Reporting screen only to report non-attendance or to correct previously
Record never-attended status and stopped-attending status/date. Do this when requested
by the Registrar's Office (early in the part of term) or anytime thereafter as needed.
You may record non-attendance through the grading period.
Correct never-attended status and stopped-attending status/date as needed. You may
do this through the grading period.
Do not be concerned if "Not Reported" appears under "Last Attend Date" for a withdrawn
student. At Financial Aid's request, a "Last Attend Date" cannot be entered for a
Do not be concerned if "Not Reported" appears under "Attendance Confirmation Date"
for any student. The system will assume attendance.
- Click on the “Faculty” tab after you login to the portal.
- In the "Banner Self-Service" channel, expand the "Banner Self-Service" and "Faculty
and Advisors" folders until you see "Attendance Reporting"; click on this link.
- Select the desired term and click the [Submit] button.
- Next, select a CRN from the drop-down list. Click the [Submit] button.
The drop-down list uses only the course title and CRN. Once you reach the actual Attendance
Reporting screen for the section, you will see the Course ID and section number for
the CRN you selected (ex: ACAD 1100 012).
- You should now be on the actual Attendance Reporting screen for the selected class.
Please note the drop-down box that appears in the Attendance column for each student:
The options you will select most often are N and S. You will occasionally need Y. Never intentionally use Not Reported.
||DO NOT SELECT. This option exists for other schools using the Faculty Self Service
product. We do not use it at the U of M.
||Select this only to correct a record. (You earlier indicated that the student wasn't
attending (N or S), but you wish to correct this.) Refer to Y: Corrections below.
||Select this to indicate that the student has never attended (see N: Never-Attended below).
||Select this to indicate that the student stopped attending (see S: Stopped-Attending below).
Select "N" to indicate a student has never attended. Do not enter a date; a date before the first day of semester classes will automatically be entered into
the "Last Attend Date" column once you click [Submit] for the page. Once you click [Submit], the last three columns for a Never-Attended student should appear as follows:
Select "S" to indicate that a student has stopped attending. Then enter a stopped-attending
date in the Last Attend Date column. Once you click [Submit], the last three columns
for a Stopped-Attending student should appear as follows:
Please note these rules about entering dates:
- Enter your date in this format: MM/DD/YYYY. You must enter the slashes, and you must
enter leading zeros for the day and month when needed. For example, enter "09/26/2007"
for September 26, 2007.
- You cannot enter a future date: that is, you cannot enter a date in advance of today's
- You cannot enter a date prior to the beginning of the term. This would mean the student
never attended; if this is the case, then record him or her as never-attended (N)
rather than stopped-attending.
Also note the following about recording stopped-attending dates:
- You may enter stopped-attending dates at any time during the term.
- If the student is to receive a final grade of F or U, you SHOULD enter a stopped-attending date if the grade is a result of the student's having stopped
When you have finished reporting non-attendance for a class, click the [Submit] button
at the bottom of the last screen. You can now select another CRN; see step 7.
If you incorrectly submit a student with an "N" or "S" and need to correct this, or
if you submit a student with an "N" or "S" and then the student starts attending,
take these actions:
- Change the "N" or "S" to "Y" in the Attendance column.
- Delete or space out the date in Last Date Attend column.
- Click [Submit].
When you click [Submit], you will receive either a message telling you that your changes
have been successfully submitted, or this message telling you that one or more of
the records on the page have errors: At least one student record is in error. Please review errors below.
Records with errors will be marked with an asterisk (*) to the right of the Attendance
Confirmation Date column. The actual error message(s) will be listed below the record
in error. Correct any errors and click [Submit] again.
Please submit attendance often. There is a 60 minute time limit starting at [time]
on [date] for this page.
- The first part of this system-delivered message is confusing. You are NOT being instructed
to report attendance or non-attendance on a daily or weekly basis. Rather, you are
being encouraged to click [Submit] regularly once you start a reporting session. In
other words, don't leave your terminal and go to lunch or a meeting with a session
still open: you could lose all the changes you made after the last [Submit]. (Incidentally,
with each [Submit], your 60-minute time limit is restarted, so you should have ample
time to report non-attending students in all of your sections.)
|Possible Error Messages
Future dates are not permitted. Please enter a Last Date of Attendance within term,
no later than today.
- Enter a stopped-attending date that is equal to today's date or an earlier date within
If the student has stopped attending, a Last Date of Attendance is required. Last
Date of Attendance is not permitted when Attendance Indicator = Y.
- Either you left the Attendance Indicator at Y and tried to enter a stopped-attending
date, or you changed the indicator to S but failed to enter a stopped-attending date.
To indicate that a student has stopped attending, you must set the indicator to S
and enter a semester date equal to today's date or earlier.
Last Date of Attendance cannot be earlier than the first day of classes.
- To indicate that a student has stopped attending, you must set the indicator to S
and enter a semester date equal to today's date or earlier. If the student has never
attended, set the indicator to N and leave the date blank. A date prior to the first
day of classes will automatically be generated after you click [Submit].
You entered a date in an invalid date format.
- A stopped-attending date must be entered in this format: MM/DD/YYYY. MM = 2 digits
from 01-12; DD = 2 digits from 01-31; YYYY = 4 digits for the year. You must enter
- Select another CRN to report on, or navigate to another service. To select another
CRN, click the [CRN Selection] link at the bottom of the page, and the select "Attendance Reporting" in the resulting
- Logout: Click on the logout icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen when
you are finished using the portal.
Faculty Self Service Guides
Download Class Roster from D2L
Request Access to Banner-Student