For release: January 9, 2013
For press information, contact Dan Lattimore, 731-425-1937 or 901-258-5044
January 12 marks the first anniversary of the official acceptance of the former Lambuth
University property by the Tennessee Board of Regents, making it a branch campus of
the University of Memphis. On a bitterly cold Jan. 12, 2012, Gov. Bill Haslam, University
of Memphis President Shirley Raines, and government officials and business leaders
from Jackson, Madison County, and the State of Tennessee, raised the U of M flag over
the Lambuth Campus for the first time.
Since then, Lambuth Campus has grown considerably in enrollment, faculty, degree programs
offered, buildings renovated and in use, and widespread acceptance as a geographically
convenient and affordable source of higher education in West Tennessee.
In May 2011, a financial crisis loomed over Lambuth University, a small, private school
that was founded in 1843, forcing it to cease operations that summer. With support
from the City of Jackson, Madison County, West Tennessee Healthcare, and the Jackson
Energy Authority, the University of Memphis acted quickly to begin serving students
in August 2011. About 300 students enrolled that first semester.
The Lambuth name was kept by design, according to Dr. Dan Lattimore, dean of the Lambuth
Campus and dean of the U of M’s University College.
"The name ‘U of M Lambuth Campus’ is very valuable," said Lattimore. "That tells Lambuth
alumni and those who live in the Jackson area who have been a part of Lambuth for
years that we want to include them in everything we do."
In the fall of 2012, the campus became home to 582 students, with about one-fourth
of them from Memphis. To accommodate the increased enrollment, additional housing,
a bistro, bookstore, fitness center and more technologically advanced classrooms opened
last fall. These facilities could not be refurbished until the official deed for
the property was transferred to the U of M.
Students who transferred from Lambuth University were given credit for courses already
completed so they could graduate on time. A milestone was celebrated in May 2012
when 42 students graduated from the University of Memphis as the first graduating
class from the Lambuth Campus. Half of them were from Jackson and half were from
throughout West Tennessee.
Keeping students involved in campus life is an important goal of the Lambuth Campus.
To encourage that, a Campus Life Grant is available to full-time students who choose
to live on campus. The grant covers all living expenses in exchange for the students’
agreeing to become leaders in campus organizations and activities. Grants are currently
available for fall 2013.
Degree programs and areas of study have been expanded beyond nursing, business and
education to include the music entertainment industry, accounting, communication and
others. A complete listing is available at www.memphis.edu/lambuth.
The University of Memphis Lambuth Campus remains a testament to the vision, determination,
and hard work of the those who recognized the value of Jackson having a public four-year
“Students at U of M Lambuth enjoy a small campus where they interact directly with
professors and staff to meet their educational goals and secure their future,” said
Lattimore. “The affordable, quality education they receive here will be a boost to
West Tennessee, as many of these students continue to live and work in the area.
The University of Memphis is pleased to be able to have a vital role in the economic
and educational future of West Tennessee.”