The University of Memphis Libraries Lost and Found Policy and Procedures
The University of Memphis Libraries Lost and Found Policy and Procedures apply to
the McWherter Library and the branch libraries (Audio & Speech Language Pathology,
Chemistry, Mathematics, and Music). The McWherter Library Lost and Found is located
in the Circulation Department. The branch libraries either maintain a Lost and Found
in the branch or use one in their academic department office. All lost and found items
will be kept in a secure location until they are either claimed by the owner or turned
over to the ID Center, the Public Safety Office, or the academic department office
of a branch library. Items turned in to an academic department office will no longer
be the responsibility of the branch and are not covered by this policy after that
time. Listed below are procedures to be followed.
1) Turn lost items in to Lost and Found as soon as possible, but not later than the
end of the business day on which they were found. Until lost items are turned in to
Lost and Found they will be kept in a controlled holding area accessible to library
2) Record items of value such as wallets, purses, keys, backpacks, and electronic
devices in the Lost and Found Logbook at the time they are turned in. Information
requested in the logbook will help to ensure items are accounted for and returned
to the rightful owners. Fill out the logbook completely and accurately. Completed
logbook sheets will be kept on file at the location where filled out.
3) Place the Lost and Found Logbook with lost items in a locked location such as a
drawer, cabinet, or room. The key should be accessible only to those individuals authorized
by the library department head.
4) Items of lesser value such as notebooks, umbrellas, and articles of clothing are
not required to be entered into the logbook or placed in a locked location. However,
these items will be kept in a controlled area accessible to library staff only.
5) Circulation will take unclaimed IDs to the ID Center once a week on Thursday or
Friday. Branches will either take IDs directly to the ID Center or give them to Circulation
to be taken.
6) To attempt to ensure lost items are returned to the rightful owners, persons claiming
items will be asked to describe the items and to provide identification. Claimants
must sign for items that have been entered into the logbook before the items will
be released to them.
7) Items in Lost and Found which are not claimed by the end of each semester are taken
to the Public Safety Office.