The move downtown is a project with many winners among the numerous constituencies
within our community and region:
- A stimulating, comfortable, state-of-the-art learning environment.
- Greatly enhanced opportunities to learn about the practice of law in realistic courtroom,
clinic, law office and other settings.
- Significantly enhanced opportunities to interact with the local bar in and out of
- Enhanced reputation of their law school and law degree.
- Enhanced teaching environment with significantly improved technology and space.
- Further integration of the clinical faculty with other law school faculty.
- More opportunities for meaningful interaction with the bar.
- Enhanced pride in the reputation of the law school.
The School of Law
- Significantly improved space for classrooms, courtrooms, offices, student activities
- Enhanced ability to attract and recruit top quality faculty and students.
- State of the art, spacious and user-friendly library.
- Enhanced national reputation as a leader in legal education.
- Strong and permanent visibility in downtown Memphis.
- Leadership participation in downtown renaissance.
- Enhanced reputation resulting from the national visibility of a School of Law with
a superior program in one of the nation’s premier facilities.
- Better service to the legal community and to the community at large.
The legal community
- Access to a state of the art law library and technology.
- More opportunities to participate in the academic life of the law school as judges
for moot court competitions, as presenters and as adjuncts.
- Closer proximity to law students for clerking opportunities.
- Enhanced quality of the student recruitment pool for new hires, resulting from an
enhanced recruitment pool for the student body, due to the law school’s outstanding
- Easier access to the expertise of the faculty.
The business, retail and larger community
- Positive economic impact from 500 students, faculty and staff in the downtown area
on a daily basis.
- Increased demand for downtown housing.
- Greater opportunities for new businesses to locate and flourish downtown.
- Increased vibrancy and activity downtown throughout the day and evening hours.
- Influx of talented professionals into the city.
The State of Tennessee
- Enhanced reputation for quality higher education.
- Growing numbers of high quality young professionals moving to the state.
- Retention of our own excellent and productive young professionals.