University of Memphis Lambuth Campus
University of Memphis Photo
Orientation Prerequisites


Math Placement Testing
Health Form and Immunization Requirements
Choosing Your Major Activity
High School Deficiency Requirements

Math Placement Testing

To better ensure student success, the University of Memphis has adopted a mandatory math assessment, known as ALEKS. The ALEKS assessment provides you with an opportunity to find out what math course best fits your current knowledge and abilities. It is important for success in mathematics that you enroll in a course for which you have the necessary preparation and which leads to the math courses required for your particular major.

All incoming students must complete the ALEKS placement assessment before attending New Student Orientation in order to register for any mathematics course for the fall 2013 semester. Full information and testing access are available through the MyMemphis portal at All students must have the ALEKS math assessment completed prior to their orientation sessions so the score will be available to their academic advisors.

Please remember your ALEKS score will determine which math course you are eligible to register for at NSO. However, you may enroll in a lower level math course after talking with your advisor at NSO.

Visit for additional information.


Student Health Services (901) 678-2287;

Varicella (Chicken Pox) Immunization

Proof of two Varicella (chicken pox) immunizations are required for all incoming students. Students must show proof of two vaccinations prior to registering for classes at New Student Orientation. Please note: The two doses must be given at least 30 days apart per CDC guidelines. Students graduating from a Tennessee high school must provide proof of one vaccination given after graduation OR proof of two vacations given at any time.

Measles, Mumps and Rubella Immunizations

Proof of two MMR immunizations are required for all incoming students. Students who did not graduate from a Tennessee high school must show proof of two MMR immunizations.

Skin Test for Tuberculosis

Students coming from areas of high tuberculosis transmission are required to have a Tuberculosis Skin Test (Mantoux, also known as PPD) before registering for classes at the University of Memphis at New Student Orientation. The test must have been administered in the United States within the past six months. International students and permanent residents must provide proper identification when requesting the TB Skin Test at the Health Center. For more information and a list of countries whose students may be excluded from receiving the test, visit:

Hepatitis B and Meningitis Immunization Health History Form

Students who will be under the age of 18 during their orientation session must have the Meningococcal Meningitis and Hepatitis B Immunization Health History Form completed and signed by a parent or legal guardian.

  • Student Health Services highly recommends students have both vaccinations. It is anticipated that by July 1, 2013, the State of Tennessee will require all new students living in on-campus residence halls to be immunized against meningococcal disease. Therefore, it is strongly encouraged that you go ahead and receive this immunization in preparation for the new legislation.
  • To obtain the form and other information concerning Meningococcal Meningitis and Hepatitis B vaccinations go to
  • When completing the form please mark your selection on both sections of the form and have your parent or legal guardian sign both sections.

Return your completed forms and/or immunization records to Student Health Services:

  • Fax or Mail to Student Health Services
    • Fax: (901) 678-3124 or (901) 678-1359.
    • Mailing Address: The University of Memphis, Student Health Services, 200 Hudson Health Center, Memphis, TN 38152
  • It is strongly recommended that you also bring a copy of your forms and records with you to New Student Orientation.

Choosing Your Major Activity

All students should complete the Choosing Your Major Activity in preparation for academic advising during New Student Orientation. Your academic advisor will be able to view your responses to better understand your specific needs before your advising appointment.

If You Have Received A High School Deficiency Notice

Students who have received a notice about a class needed to fulfill a high school deficiency must contact the Center for Academic Retention and Enrichment Services at:

The University of Memphis
Center for Academic Retention and Enrichment Services
500 Wilder Tower
Memphis, TN 38152-3370
(901) 678-2393


Apply Now

Academic Programs
Contact Us
Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2013 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Last Updated: 4/5/13