If you are on an internship, the work permission ends the day the professor turns
in final grades to the school computer. Curricular Practical Training NEVER stands alone; you must be enrolled in an internship class to receive this kind
of INS work permission.
- If your family will come to visit you for graduation, speak to Dr. Emslie in the Commencement
Office. She will arrange for your family to meet the University President during the
graduation ceremonies. This privilege is reserved only for Internationals.
- If you have not yet applied for OPT, HURRY UP!!!! The application can take as long as 90 days to process.
- If you don't have one already, start a folder containing all of your U.S. Government
records, including all of your previous I-20's, and a photocopy of all tax returns.
These will be REQUIRED if you apply for an H1B visa in the future. Keep all I-20’s, even after you have graduated.
- University of Memphis Health Insurance is only available for purchase if a student
is enrolled in classes. Please make plans for other insurance when you graduate.
- Remember that there is NO on-campus work permission after graduation, unless you will
work on campus with a valid OPT card.
- The INS does not require full time enrollment in the last semester. Be certain that
it will indeed be your last semester before attempting to drop to part time.
- Optional Practical Training (INS work permission after graduation) takes approximately 90 days to process. If
you would like to begin working May 30, apply no later than March 30.
- Under current federal regulations, F-1 visa holders on OPT are required to update
SEVIS regarding their current residential address, and the name and address of their
employer. This update must be done by contacting your school, even if you have graduated
and are no longer taking classes. SEVIS updates are required while students are on
OPT. Contact your International Students Office for further information.