- A team will consist of 6 players but a game may be started with only 4 players. If
game time is reached and a team has 4 players, the game will begin.
- The first serve of the game will be determined by a coin toss. The winner of the coin
toss will have the option of choosing either to serve first or which side of the court
they would like to begin play on.
- A match consists of 2 out of 3 games, first and second games will played to 21 points
rally scoring (25 point cap) and the final game will be 15 point rally scoring (17
- If a ball lands on the line it is considered to be in and a point will be awarded.
- If a ball hits the ceiling but stays on the same side of the court, it is considered
playable. However, if a ball hits the ceiling and then crosses over the net onto the
opponents’ side of the court, it is considered a dead ball and a point awarded.
- A backcourt player can only spike the ball if they jump from beyond the 10ft. line
- All players must be on the court when the ball is served. The referee will blow the
whistle and the server has 10 seconds to serve the ball.
- Each team is allowed three hits per rally. A block does not count as one of the three
- A served ball can touch the net.
- All players must rotate with each service change.
- A referee may elect to replay a point if they could not see or was obstructed during
- If a ball touches one of the antennas it is considered out.
- A player cannot touch the ball twice in a row during a rally unless the first touch
was a block.
- The server may not throw the ball up and then catch it if they did not like the toss.
The server may throw the ball up and let it hit the floor if they did not like the
toss, but they must serve the ball within ten seconds allowed by the referee. Also,
the server will have only one retry per point.
- Players may switch positions during rally, but must assume their original positions
once the rally is over.
- The server must stay behind the service line and in the service area until after they
have served the ball. A jump server must jump from behind the service line and may
land in front of the service line after striking the ball.
Co-Recreational Rules are generally the same as Men’s and Women’s Volleyball Rules
except for the following:
- A match is played by two teams of 6 players (3 men and 3 women, 4 men and 2 women
or 4 women and 2 men). Teams playing with 4 players may play 2 men and 2 women.
- Net height will be 7 Ft. 11 5/8 inches.
- Substitutions must be of the same sex (male for male and female for female).
- The line-up must alternate between male and female players.
- If the ball is played (hit) 3 times on one side a female must be one of the three