As you may know, each semester part of your tuition and fees supports the Green Campus
Initiative. The University of Memphis Sustainable Campus (Green) Fee Committee provides
funding for approved proposals to make the University of Memphis campus more sustainable.
Former President Raines stated, “To address environmental challenges, we are becoming
a leader in sustainable technologies and practices while acting as a model for the
The Green Fee Committee has received a proposal for funding for undergraduate green
internships for Spring 2015. Based on funding received, selected students will be provided the opportunity to
work with a campus or community partner to enhance the student’s understanding of
sustainability and to assist in the organization’s efforts to promote sustainability.
If you are interested in applying for a Spring 2015 Green Internship, please review
the information below.
What is a green internship? A green internship is an educational/work experience sponsored by an organization
that promotes sustainability in areas such as:
- Energy efficiency
- Utility conservation
- Environmental protection
Who is eligible to apply for a green internship? Undergraduate students who have:
- first-generation or low-income or students with a disability
- minimum sophomore standing at time of application
- minimum 2.75 grade point average
- minimum of one or more regular semesters (fall/spring) remaining before graduation.
Undergraduate students who have active status in the Student Success Programs (SSP)
will be given first consideration after meeting these requirements.
What are the green internship requirements? Students selected for a Green Internship are required to:
- satisfactorily complete an approved learning contract
- Internship Course in Academic Major or
- UNIV 4000 - Community Internship
- earn 3 semester hours of academic credit
- work 150 clock hours during the semester
- present internship experience at Green Internships Recognition Event
What do selected green interns earn? Interns earn a stipend of $10 per hour or $1500 for the semester plus $200 to assist
with tuition costs for an academic internship for a total of $1700. University stipends
of $425 will be distributed at the end of September, October, November, and December
Where do selected green interns work?
- Bella Cafe
- CBRE Memphis
- Elegant Farmer
- First Tee
- Girls, Inc.
- Grow Memphis
- Highland Area Renewal Corporation
- International Paper
- Jabber Blabber Earth Friendly Family Publication
- Keep Tennessee Beautiful
- Memphis Bioworks Foundation
- Memphis Botanic Garden
- Memphis Zoological Society
- Memphis and Shelby County Office of Sustainability
- Salvation Army
- Service Master
- Shelby County Department of Health, Air Quality Improvement Branch
- YMCA Walker – University District Business Alliance
- Barbara K. Lipman School
- City and Regional Planning
- Ecological Research Center
- Editor, Communications and Marketing
- Ground Water Institute
- Student Health Services
- Office of Academic Internships
- Office of Sustainability
What types of activities do green interns perform?
- Project Management
- Public Relations
- Social Media
- Special Events
How to apply for a Green Internship?
By or before October 1, 2014 complete and electronically submit the following to email@example.com
- A one page resume
- A letter of recommendation
- The following application
For additional information contact Sheron Davenport, 901-678-2351 firstname.lastname@example.org