An internship is a cooperative educational arrangement between the student, the University
of Memphis, and a community partner. Each year more than 5,000 U of M students are
interning in schools, hospitals, businesses, government agencies and nonprofit organizations.
Academic Credit- With an approves learning contract,students may elect to receive academic credit
for an internship experience. We highly encourage students to consider taking an academic
internship course in conjunction with the internship experience to assist in their
degree completion, and provide additional faculty/staff support during the experience.
Monetary Compensation- The potential to receive financial compensation varies with the organization and
the academic discipline. Please review the Federal Labor Law regarding internships.
Sponsoring an Intern can...
- Bring fresh ideas, talents and skills to your organization.
- Identify prospective employees to meet future staffing needs.
- Provide cost-effective recruitment and training.
- Enhance community/university relationships.
- Encourage more practical training in the educational process.
- Provide staff for special projects.
- Contribute to the development of young professionals in our local and regional communities
- help build the future of Memphis.
What type of activities are appropriate for internships?
- Planning and Implementing Special Projects
- Developing Reports
- Conducting Research
- Website Construction/Maintenance
- Social Networking
Through internships, the community offers students the opportunity to:
- Enhance professional development with first hand experience in the world of work
- Build an effective resume that results in better job offers after graduation
- Improve knowledge, skills, and abilities to meet career goals
- Develop a network of professional contacts
- Reinforce learning received in course work experience
- Become familiar with future opportunities in Shelby County
Employers rate relevant work experience as the most important criteria during the
job selection process. A high quality internship provides the key to a more meaningful
education and a brighter future.