University Libraries faculty provide library instruction to classes and groups in
collaboration with faculty in other academic departments to promote information literacy
throughout the university curriculum. The University Libraries encourages teaching
faculty to consider incorporating an information literacy component into their courses.
Faculty planning library instruction should consider the following guidelines:
- Requests for library instruction should be made as early as possible and must be made
at least a week in advance to ensure librarian and room availability and to give the
librarian ample time to prepare for the class.
- The instructor should be present at the time of instruction.
- When possible, a specific assignment should be given that asks students to demonstrate
the skills obtained in the library instruction class.
- Library instruction is scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Library instruction may be requested for remote sites and for mornings, evenings,
- No library instruction will be scheduled for Ned R. McWherter Library at times when
the Library is closed.
The primary use of the Instruction Center is for library instruction. Faculty and
staff of The University of Memphis may schedule use of either of the rooms providing
that no library instruction is scheduled for that time.
Use of a room is restricted to those who comply with the following guidelines:
- The rooms are for short-term use only; semester-long courses will not be scheduled.
- Regularly-scheduled meetings will not be pre-scheduled in the Instruction Center.
- Requests to use the rooms should be made one week prior to the time of use. No requests
for non-library use will be scheduled more than one week in advance.
- The Instruction Center may be limited to library-related use during September, October,
January and February, as these are the busiest months for library instruction.
- A University of Memphis employee must be listed as the responsible party and must
be present in the room at all times. Students may not schedule the rooms and are not
allowed to use the rooms without a faculty or staff member present.
- Room 225 and 226 will be locked at all times. The responsible party should ask Research
and Information Services (RIS) Desk staff to unlock the door at the appropriate time.
- All responsible parties must arrange for training on the equipment in the Instruction
Center prior to use.
- No software should be loaded onto the computers. If software is needed for the training,
please inform Instructional Services at the time of scheduling so the University Libraries’ Systems Department may oversee
the installation and removal.
- No laptops or other equipment may be connected to the computers in the Instruction
Center without prior arrangement with Instructional Services.
- No food or drink is allowed in the Instruction Center.
- All instructor station equipment should be turned off and the room returned to its
original order before leaving.