NOTE: All doctoral students and those who may also be completing a graduate certificate
must "Apply to Graduate" (located in the MyMemphis portal) and must also submit candidacy forms.
FAILURE TO COMPLETE BOTH THE GRADUATION APPLICATION AND CANDIDACY FORM WILL AUTOMATICALLY
DELAY YOUR GRADUATION UNTIL THE NEXT SEMESTER.
Please read instructions carefully.
1. When filing for graduation, doctoral students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00
on all graduate work undertaken at The University of Memphis whether or not the courses
are listed on the candidacy form.
2. Grades of D or F are not accepted for credit for graduation purposes, but these
grades are computed in the overall cumulative GPA.
3. No more than 15 post-baccalaureate hours of 6000-level courses may be applied
to a doctoral degree.
4. No more than seven (7) hours of C, C+, or C- grades will be counted toward degree
5. If you were admitted as a Non-Degree student and eventually admitted to a doctoral
program, you must have taken at least 2/3 of the credit hours AFTER acceptance.
6. Do NOT include undergraduate level courses, courses completed for "Audit" credit, or courses
dropped or withdrawn on the candidacy form. List only graduate level courses required
for your degree program, including all electives -- No excess courses, please.
7. Course titles listed on the candidacy form may be abbreviated and should be no
longer than 100 characters long for both letters and space between words.
8. If you are currently enrolled in course work and/or dissertation credit, include
these courses on the candidacy form. Enter the maximum number of dissertation hours
required for your degree in the appropriate field, i.e., 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18,or 30.
Do not enter every semester of dissertation enrollment. One entry is sufficient.
- Doctoral Candidates must register for dissertation credit each academic semester (fall
and spring) until the dissertation is completed. Students must also enroll in the
summer semester but ONLY if the dissertation will be defended.
- Failure to continuously enroll in dissertation credit will result in the student being
charged back tuition in addition to applicable late fees charges for each semester
he/she did not enroll.
- If you do not complete your dissertation in your intended term of graduation, your
graduation application in the MyMemphis portal will be automatically updated by the
6. If another course was substituted for a required course or for an elective, your
major advisor MUST complete an Approved Course Substitution Form and attach form to the candidacy form.
7. If you have transfer credit from another graduate institution that has not been
posted to your U of M record, complete and attach a Evaluation of Transfer Credit Form to the candidacy form.
8. If you have previously completed a Credit by Examination/Course Validation Examination
or are planning to complete either type of examination in your intended term of graduation,
indicate the type of credit on your candidacy form in parentheses AFTER you have listed
the course title, e.g., LDPS 7130, Microcomputer Application (CBE) or ICL 7001, Fundamentals
of Curriculum (CBV).
9. If you were accepted to a U of M post-baccalaureate doctoral program (e.g., Biology,
Economics, History, Mathematical Sciences, Philosophy, Psychology, etc.) with an earned
master's degree from another institution, include the total number of hours accepted
by your department on the last page of the candidacy form.
10. Upon completion, print the candidacy form. Signatures must be obtained from your
major professor, your departmental graduate studies coordinator, and your College Director of Graduate Studies (see list below):
- College of Arts and Sciences - Dr. Roger Kreuz, Scates Hall, Room 104
- Fogelman College of Business and Economics - Dr. Lloyd Brooks, Fogelman Business and
Economics, Room 426
- College of Communication and Fine Arts - Professor Moira Logan, Communication & Fine
Arts Building, Room 232
- College of Education, Health and Human Sciences - Dr. Vivian Gunn Morris, Ball Hall,
- Herff College of Engineering - Dr. Warren Haggerd, Herff Engineering Admin. Bldg.,
- School of Communication Sciences and Disorders - Dr. David Wark, 807 Jefferson Avenue,
- School of Public Health - Dr. Marian Levy, Robison Hall, Room 230
If this form does not print correctly on two pages, go to the Page Setup box under
the File menu of your Internet browser and change your page margins to the following
- Netscape: 0.30 for all margins--L,R,T,B, Font Size: 11
- Explorer: 0.50 for all margins--L,R,T,B, Font Size: 11
If you have questions regarding the completion of the candidacy form, contact the
Academic Advisor in the Graduate School for further information.