Graduate School
University of Memphis Photo
GA Responsibilities
  • Be sure you have a copy of your contract and fully understand its terms.
  • Graduate Assistants can only work a maximum of 20 hours per week.
  • You must maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade point average to continue as a graduate assistant.
  • If your tuition is being paid from university funds (as opposed to a grant), you must maintain enrollment in 9 hours of graduate credit (or 6 hours if only taking thesis or dissertation). Dropping below 9 hours without prior approval could result in your contract being terminated. NOTE: If you enroll in less than 6 hours in any semester, you will have FICA and Medicare withheld from your pay.
  • Enrolling in fewer than 9 graduate credits requires approval by the Vice Provost for Graduate Programs.
  • In order for your tuition and fees to be paid, your contract must reach the Graduate School by the 4th day of classes. It is essential that you provide the department with all relevant information as soon as possible.
  • When the Bursar's Office processes your contract, they pay your tuition and fees. Any services (such as Parking, Financial Aid, or the Recreation Center) that are contingent upon payment of fees have to wait for your contract to reach that office.
  • If you are working less than 20 hours per week, you may pay half of your tuition by the appropriate fee payment deadline. For specific fee payment requirements, fee information, deadlines, and penalties, go to the Bursar's Office web site and select "Fee Payment Information."
  • If you hold an assistantship in the Spring semester, you are eligible to pay in-state tuition rates for the summer semester even if you do not hold a graduate assistantship during the summer. See the Graduate School for additional information.
  • If you have financial aid, you need to notify the Financial Aid Office because the amount of your loan may need to be adjusted.
  • If you are receiving federal work study as part of your stipend, be sure you fully understand the implications. See the Financial Aid office or the Graduate School for details.


If you are a non-resident alien:

  • You must apply for a social security number as soon as possible.
  • You must give Human Resources a copy of your social security number.
  • After obtaining your social security number, you must see Ms. Senese Duhart, Administration Building 276, to complete a Form W-4 for tax purposes.

Last revised on: 30 September 2014

For any information about graduate assistantships, contact Dr. James Kierulff at 678-4370 or at

Graduate School
Administration Bldg. 215
The University of Memphis
Memphis, TN 38152
Phone: (901) 678-2531
Fax: (901) 678-0378

Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2015 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Last Updated: 9/30/14