Graduate Catalog
University of Memphis Photo
Other Admission Regulations

Once accepted into a degree program, a student is expected to enroll every semester thereafter (excluding summer sessions) and make satisfactory progress toward the degree. A student who does not enroll for one Fall or Spring semester must apply for readmission. Submission of an application for readmission does not ensure acceptance. An application for readmission may be rejected or additional requirements may be imposed on the student. A readmitted student must follow the rules, prerequisites, and degree requirements listed in the most current Graduate Bulletin.

Continuous Enrollment

Students writing a thesis or dissertation or engaged in a culminating or capstone project must enroll on a continuous basis (Fall and Spring) until the thesis, dissertation, or project is complete. Most programs require at least one culminating experience course; see specific program requirements for details. A student must be enrolled for at least 1 hour each Fall and Spring semester until the thesis, dissertation, or project is complete. A student must be enrolled in the Summer semester if the thesis, dissertation, or project will be completed then. Failure to so register will result in the student being charged tuition for each semester he or she did not enroll.

The only exception to this policy is if the student's major professor is on leave or otherwise unavailable. In such cases the approval of the appropriate college director and the Vice Provost for Graduate Program is required. In the case of serious medical circumstances, students may request a leave of absence, subject to the approval of the program graduate coordinator, the college director of graduate studies, and the Vice Provost for Graduate Programs. Retroactive approval will not be granted. A leave of absence does not extend time limit to degree.

Admission to Non-Degree Status

Combination Senior: An undergraduate senior student may earn up to 12 hours of graduate credit while enrolled on a Combination Senior/Graduate Non-Degree basis. The student must have a total cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 and must have filed with his or her Graduate School Academic Advisor a plan for completing the bachelor's degree within two semesters. Eligible students may enroll concurrently in undergraduate and select graduate courses. Approval to register for graduate credit does not imply approval for admission into a graduate program at the University or that the credit earned will be accepted towards a graduate degree. After the bachelor's degree is awarded, a Combination Senior/Graduate Non-Degree student must make formal application in order to be admitted to a graduate degree program. Courses taken for graduate credit may not be used for both the baccalaureate and graduate degree. Combination seniors are not eligible for graduate assistantships.

Graduate Non-Degree: This classification is for domestic students who wish to enroll in graduate courses but who do not wish to pursue a graduate degree at the University or whose applications are incomplete. Graduate non-degree applicants must show proof of having earned a baccalaureate degree at the time of application. At the end of the first semester of course work, the Graduate Non-Degree student may be required to furnish an official transcript showing at minimum a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.

Academic units may restrict non-degree students to designated courses. Graduate Non-Degree students who decide to matriculate for a degree must make application to the Graduate School and must meet all admissions requirements. Master's students in programs requiring 36 credit hours or fewer are limited to 12 credit hours while in non-degree status. Students in degree programs requiring more than 36 hours must take at least 2/3 of the credit hours after acceptance into the program. Students should note that some academic units count coursework toward a degree only after admission or have more restrictive policies regarding the number of non-degree hours that count toward the degree.

Before registering for a second semester of graduate level coursework, the non-degree student is required to sign a release agreeing that additional coursework will not apply to degree programs.

Non-degree students must maintain a 3.00 GPA in graduate courses in order to re-enroll and are not eligible for graduate assistantships.

Apply Now

Admission to Masters Degree Programs
Admission to Education Specialist Programs
Admission to Doctoral Degree Programs
Admission of International Students
Readmission Requirements
Other Admission Regulations
Miscellaneous Information

Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2015 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Last Updated: 2/5/13