Graduate Catalog
University of Memphis Photo
Grading System Links of Interest

The table below shows the grades that may be awarded with their quality points:






























Grades used to postpone or suspend course completion include "I" (incomplete), "IP" (in progress), and "W" (withdrawn).

Independent studies or problems courses, directed readings, student teaching, workshops, practica, internships, theses, and dissertations should be graded "A-F, IP" or "S","U", IP." A grade of "S,""U," or "IP," does not carry any quality points and is not included in computing GPA.

Incomplete: The grade "I" (Incomplete) may be assigned by the faculty member in any course other than those with “IP” grading in which the student is unable to complete the work due to extraordinary events beyond the individual's control that are acceptable to the faculty member. The "I" may not be used to extend the term for students who complete the course with an unsatisfactory grade. Unless the student completes the requirements for removal of the "I" within 90 days from the end of the semester or summer session in which it was received (see University Calendar), the "I" will change to an "F," whether or not the student is enrolled. The faculty member may grant up to a 45-day extension if sufficient extenuating circumstances exist. At the end of the extension period, the "I" grade will automatically revert to "F" if the student has not completed the requirements. The student will be certified for graduation only when all requirements are met, including the removal of "I" grades. If a student has an "I" in a course necessary to fulfill degree requirements in the semester in which he or she expects to graduate, the certification process and graduation will automatically be deferred to the next term.

In Progress: In some courses with "IP" (In Progress) grading, faculty members may assign "IP" to extend the time permitted for the completion of research or course requirements. A student awarded an "IP" grade must re-enroll in the course for the same number of hours to complete the work. Students must continuously re-enroll in thesis or dissertation courses but the hours may vary. The final grade will be submitted by the faculty member at the end of the term in which the work is completed.

Thesis/Dissertation Grading: The use of S, U, IP grading for theses and dissertations is different from its use for other courses. The grade of “S” is ONLY awarded when the student successfully defends the thesis or dissertation; the grade of “U” is awarded ONLY when the student fails to defend successfully. Otherwise, the grade of “IP” is awarded to indicate that the student is progressing in a timely manner. Students must enroll for at least 1 thesis or dissertation hour for each semester (except for summer sessions) that they are working on the thesis or dissertation.

Grade Point Average: Graduate students must maintain a 3.0 GPA ("B"). Grades of "D" and "F" will not apply toward any graduate degree, but will be computed in the GPA. No more than 7 hours of "C-," "C" or "C+" will be applied towards meeting degree requirements. Grades earned at another university will not be computed in the cumulative GPA. Grades in courses that are older than the time limitation for degree will be shown on the transcript but will not be included in the computation of the GPA used for graduation. Only courses that have been validated will count toward the degree (see below for validation policy). The overall GPA required for graduation, computed on all graduate level courses completed whether or not they are listed on the candidacy form, must also be 3.0.

Repetition of Courses: A graduate student may repeat a course to earn a higher grade only if the earned grade was a "U" or lower than a "B" (3.0). No course may be repeated more than once to improve the grade. Only the grade earned in the second attempt will be included in the computation of the cumulative grade point average. A maximum of two courses may be repeated during the student's total graduate career to improve a grade. However, if a student advances to a doctoral program and wishes to repeat a third course at the doctoral level, the student must seek approval from the college director of graduate studies. Students should always check with their advisors before enrolling in a course a second time.

Grade Changes: Grades properly issued in a course by the faculty member of record will not be altered except when an error was made in computation or reporting or as a result of a formal grade appeal. A grade other than "I" or "IP" may not be changed as a result of additional work after a grade has been submitted to the Office of the Registrar.

Apply Now

Course Numbering System
Course Load Limitations
Audit Courses
Attendance Policy
Change of Major or Advancing from a Master's to a Doctoral Program
Adding and Dropping Courses
Withdrawal from Graduate School
Grading System
Credit by Exam
Course Validation
Transfer Credit
Academic Misconduct
Academic Probation
Termination Procedures
Graduate Faculty
Regulatory Issues
Privacy Rights of Parents and Students

Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2015 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Last Updated: 8/6/14