In cases where the student has knowledge, but has not taken the appropriate course,
the academic units, with approval from the Dean of the Graduate School or designee,
may offer graduate courses for credit by examination. Total credit-by-examination
applied to a student's degree program may not exceed nine (9) semester hours. The
necessary form is available on the Graduate School web site.
The following regulations govern the granting of credit by examination:
A student enrolled in a degree program (full-time or part-time) who is in good academic
standing may make application to take an examination for credit. The student must
follow these steps to obtain credit by examination:
- Fill out the top of the form and obtain the signatures of the major advisor, department
chair, and college director of graduate studies.
- Pay the fee and attach the receipt to the form.
- Take the form to the department chair, who will sign it after the exam has been taken
and a satisfactory grade earned.
- When the department chair returns the completed form to the Graduate School, the Vice
Provost for Graduate Studies or designee will authorize the posting of the credit
to the student's record.
- The form of the examination, the method of administering it, and the time of examination
are left to the discretion of colleges and academic units.
- To receive credit, the student's examination grade should be equivalent to at least
a "B" (3.0). Credit is indicated on the student's record as "S" but is not figured
in the GPA.
The only remedy to an unsuccessful credit-by-examination grade is to enroll in and
complete the course.
Maximum Combined Credit Hours to Fulfill Degree Requirements
For Master’s students, the maximum amount of combined hours of transfer credit, credit
by examination, course validation and experiential learning that can be used to fulfill
degree requirements less than one-third the number of hours required for the degree.
For doctoral students, the maximum amount of combined hours of transfer credit, credit-by-examination,
course validation and experiential learning that can be used to fulfill degree requirements
is less one-third the number of hours required for the degree.
For additional information about credit by examination procedures, contact the Graduate
School Academic Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Graduate School Office (901) 678-2531.