Thank you very much to all the students, teachers, and volunteers who helped make the Language Fair a
The Commercial Appeal covered the event; a feature article that appeared in the CA, along with photos, may be accessed here.
Here is the WInners List for the 2013 Fair (updated April 12)
Congratulations to all our winners!
The date of the 2014 Fair will be announced soon; additional details will be published
in the Fall as soon as they become available. Information and forms for 2013 are subject
to change for next year, so please check back later.
Thank you once again!
Welcome to the Language Fair information webpage. This year's Language Fair will take
place on Saturday, March 23, 2013 at the University Center of the University of Memphis. The theme for the Fair will
"Celebrating Diversity and Heritage through Language"
(photos from 2012 Fair)
The Language Fair draws around 1,000 area high school students every year to participate
in competitions and other language- and culture-related events. We look forward to
seeing you at the Fair!
Please check back often for additional documents and updates, which will be posted
online as they become available.
- NEW: Program and Schedule of events by language posted (March 16, updated March 19 with additional donor in thank-you section).
- NEW: Letter to teachers summarizing important information for teachers and students participating in the Fair.
- NEW: Maps showing the University Center and Mitchell Hall. The UC should be easy to find; it's just north of Southern Avenue and south of the
fountain, across from the bookstore and Rose Theatre. Mitchell Hall is just west of
the UC across the grass field (Alumni Mall). To get to Mitchell Auditorium, enter
the doors to Mitchell facing the UC and go straight back. There will be signs leading
to the doors to the auditorium.
- Detailed information (rules, links, etc.), Event criteria, and Texts for poetry recitation and Latin translation can be found below. A summary of general rules can be found here.
- A welcome letter (pdf) for teachers gives an overview of deadlines and other information for the 2013 Fair.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at our permanent email address: email@example.com. You can also follow us on Twitter at FLFair.
- Forms, including Registration, Teacher of the Year, Entry forms (for poetry writing,
foreign language and heritage prose writing, and video), and Judging forms for 2013
are available for viewing on the right side of this page. The deadline to submit forms
for the 2013 Fair has passed.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Items and info from the last year's Fair (documents, forms, poems, etc.) do NOT necessarily apply to the 2013 Fair. You should use the materials and information
for 2013 that are posted or linked to on this page.
Texts for Poetry Recitation, Language Fair 2013
- Latin (NEW)
Texts for Latin Translation, Language Fair 2013.
Note: This is the Latin equivalent of the Foreign Language Writing event
Event criteria, Language Fair 2013
— 2012 —
Thank you very much to all the participants, teachers, and volunteers for helping make the last year's
Language Fair a success!
Here is a list of winners for the 2012 Language Fair; congratulations to all our winners!
Winners' List 2012
Below are links to some coverage of the 2012 Language Fair in the media.
Video report from WLMT News (CW 30), Memphis
Article in The Commercial Appeal
Article in The Daily Helmsman
— 2011 —
2011 List of Winners
Thank you very much to everyone who attended and participated in the 2011 Language Fair! Here is the list of winners for all competitive events. Congratulations to all our winners! Thank you all for helping us celebrate 20 years of the Language
Fair, and we hope to see you again this year!
2013 Language Fair registration forms
Please note that there are THREE required forms: registration, participant entry, and payment.
- The following two forms can be sent together by email, mail, or fax to Robert Kelz
in the Dept. of Foreign Languages (details on each form). Microsoft Word / .doc versions
are provided for people who wish to fill them out and send them electronically.
- Registration Form (pdf, doc)
- Participant Entry Sheet (pdf, doc)
- The third form must be printed out and sent by mail, accompanied by one check covering
registration fees, to the Bursar's Office (details on form)
3. Payment Form (pdf)
Submissions must be received by March 1st at the latest to allow time for processing and room assignments.
2013 Language Fair Entry Forms
Completed entry forms must accompany submissions for the following events. Submissions
must be received by March 1.
2013 Teacher of the Year Forms
Teacher of the Year ballots can be submitted together with registration or separately
by email, mail, or fax to the Dept. of Foreign Languages (see ballot for details).
The deadline is March 1.
Teacher of the Year Description (pdf)
Teacher of the Year Ballot (pdf, doc)
2013 Language Fair Judging Forms
(for information only)
These are the forms that will be used for judging events the day of the Fair. They
are for information only; you do NOT need to print out or bring these sheets to the