Secretary, Faculty Senate
Phone: (901) 678-4525
Office: Patterson 423
B.A., 1963, Denison University
Ph.D, 1967, University of Iowa
With a doctorate in comparative literature, Cynthia Grant Tucker specializes in women's
studies, biography, and the culture of humor. She has taught life-writing at the Iowa
Writing Festival; the Graduate Theological Union in Berkeley, California; the Campbell
Folk School in Brasstown, North Carolina; and the Center for Independent Living in
- No Silent Witness: The Eliot Parsonage Women and Their Unitarian World. Oxford University Press [ February 2010].
- Spirited Threads: A Fabric Artist's Passion for Life: The Art and Writings of Patricia
Roberts Cline. Portland, OR: Sibyl Publications, 1997.
- Prophetic Sisterhood: Liberal Women Ministers of the Frontier, 1880-1930. First published in hardback by Beacon Press, 1990, and in paperback by Indiana University
Press, 1995. Now available as a paperback reprint from iUniverse.
- Healer In Harm's Way: Mary Collson, A Clergywoman in Christian Science. Nashville: University of Tennessee Press, 1995. (First published as A Woman's Ministry
in 1984 by Temple University Press).
- Kate Freeman Clark: A Painter Rediscovered. Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 1981.