Coordinator of Creative Writing Concentration
Phone: (901) 678-4190
Office: Patterson 428
B.A., 1981, University of Colorado
M.A., 1991, University of Denver
Ph.D., 1996, University of Denver
Dr. Kristen Iversen teaches literary nonfiction and fiction, specializing in memoir
and literary journalism. She currently serves as the Coordinator of the Creative Writing
Concentration and as Faculty Editor of the award-winning literary journal The Pinch.
Iversen is the author of Full Body Burden: Growing Up in the Nuclear Shadow of Rocky Flats (Crown), winner of the 2013 Colorado Book Award and the Reading the West Book Award
in Nonfiction. Full Body Burden was chosen one of the Best Books of 2012 by Kirkus
Reviews and the American Library Association and Best Book about Justice by The Atlantic,
and was a finalist for the Barnes & Noble Discover Award and the Andrew Carnegie Medal
for Excellence. Iversen is also the author of Molly Brown: Unraveling the Myth, winner
of the Colorado Book Award and Sudler Award for Nonfiction, and a textbook, Shadow
Boxing: Art and Craft in Creative Nonfiction. Her work has appeared in The New York Times, The Nation, Reader's Digest, Fourth Genre, and many other literary journals and publications. She has appeared on C-Span and
NPR's Fresh Air, among other radio and TV programs, and she has worked extensively
with A&E Biography, The History Channel, and the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- Full Body Burden: Growing Up in the Nuclear Shadow of Rocky Flats. Crown 2012. Starred review in Publisher's Weekly, Kirkus and Booklist. Winner of the Colorado Book Award and Reading the West Award in Nonfiction. Chosen
as one of the Best Books of 2012 by Kirkus Reviews, Barnes & Noble, and Mother Jones Magazine, and one of the Best Books About Justice by The Atlantic Monthly. Finalist for the Barnes & Noble Discover Award and the Andrew Carnegie Medal for
- Shadow Boxing: Art and Craft in Creative Nonfiction. Prentice Hall, 2004. New edition, 2012. One of the first textbooks to cover the
major subgenres of literary nonfiction.
- Molly Brown: Unraveling the Myth. Johnson Books, 1999; Second Edition, 2012. Winner of the Colorado Book Award and
the Barbara Sudler Award for Nonfiction.
- "How to be Tough in Creative Nonfiction." The Art of Friction II: (Meta)Writing in (Non)Fiction. Jill Talbot, ed. University of Iowa Press, 2012.
- "My Nuclear Neighborhood." Reader's Digest, July 2012.
- "The Dirty Secrets of Rocky Flats." The Nation, June 11, 2012.
- "Final Cut." Telling Stories Out of Court. Ruth O'Brien, ed. Cornell UP, 2008.
- Keep it Real: Everything You Need to Know about Researching and Writing Creative Nonfiction. Co-author, Lee Gutkind, et al, W.W. Norton, 2008.
- BBC: Picture This. "Full Body Burden and the Rocky Flats Story." November 2012.
- Reader's Digest. "My Nuclear Neighborhood." June 2012.
- Molly Brown: Biography of a Changing Nation. National Endowment for the Arts, 2008.
- Molly Brown. Great Museums (PBS). 2004: The History Channel, 2001.
- Molly Brown: An American Original. Arts and Entertainment (A&E) Biography, 1997.