The Department of English at The University of Memphis offers an exciting and varied
set of courses and degree programs designed to help students fulfill their intellectual
and career goals.
Whether you are interested in web design, technical writing, magazine editing, language
variety in the South, children's literature, the graphic novel, teaching English around
the world, the teaching of writing, or becoming a creative writer yourself, our department
can accommodate your aspirations.
The Department at a Glance
- We offer concentrations in Applied Linguistics, Composition Studies, Creative Writing,
Literature, and Professional Writing.
- We have over fifty full-time faculty offering dozens of undergraduate and graduate
- On the Memphis campus, our department enrolls over three hundred undergraduate majors
and more than one hundred M.A., M.F.A., and Ph.D. students.
- We offer full and partial online degrees at both the undergraduate and graduate levels
and also offer a full English BA at the University of Memphis Lambuth campus.
- Our Creative Writing program publishes the literary journal The Pinch and hosts the annual River City Writers Series, connecting students to many of the
best writers in America.
- Internships in Professional Writing offer work experience in writing and editing,
and program graduates are employed across the Mid-South region and beyond.
- Graduates in literature and linguistics have gone on to secondary and university teaching
careers and to graduate programs in business and law.
- We offer study abroad opportunities in the Czech Republic and Spain.
There are a lot of opportunities in the English Department. So take some time to browse
through our website. If you don't find what you are looking for here, please call
us at (901) 678-2651 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online Degrees and Courses
Undergraduate Online Degree Programs
Department Contact Information
Current Course Listing
Department of English Faculty Policies and Procedures (.pdf)
English Department News
Tim Johnston's new novel Descent
has been receiving a lot of great press
Join MOCH and the Department of English as we celebrate his success on Thursday, February
19th at 5:30pm in the UC Bluff Room.
The event will feature a reading by Dr. Johnston, a Q&A, and a book signing.
The River City Writers Series
presents novelist/essayist Jo Ann Beard on February 25th/26th and poet Liz Robbins
on April 14th/15th.
Need help with a paper?
Check out the Recent Publications page to see books and articles written by our faculty.
New publications include Brandy Wilson's fiction novel The Palace Blues which hit the shelves in October and Tim Johnston's fiction work Descent: A Novel.
Recent article publications include Dr. Gene Plunka's article "Resistance to War:
Carl Zuckmayer's Des Teufels General" in Theatre History Studies.
Learn more about what's happening in the English Department: