The Department of Earth Sciences offers one certificate and three graduate program
• GIS Certificate: Requires completion of 12 credits hours
• Master of Arts in Earth Sciences: Requires completion of a professional paper (36 credit hours). Offered only in Geography
• Master of Science in Earth Sciences: Requires completion of a thesis and 32 credit hours. Concentrations are offered in
Archeology, Geography, Geology, Geophysics, and Interdisciplinary Studies.
• Doctor of Philosophy in Earth Sciences: Requires completion of a dissertation and 72 total post-Baccalaureate credit hours.
The details of the application process and degree programs are described in the
DES Graduate Student Handbook
The application process is rolling. However, to be fully considered for a Graduate
Assistantship and acceptance to the program, applications must be received by January
15 of each year. Research assistantships and other Fellowship deadlines are set by
the offering entity or individual. The decision on graduate assistantships will be
made on February 28 of each year. If you have any questions about the application
process, please contact Dr. Andrew Mickelson for help!
Part I: All students must apply to the University of Memphis Graduate School. http://www.memphis.edu/gradschool/admproc.php
Submit the following to Graduate School Admissions:
- Admission Application
- Official Transcripts
- Official Test Scores:
- GRE Scores
International Students must also include:
- TOEFL Scores or IETLS Scores
- Must submit an Affidavit of Support and Educational Background Statement.
- Foreign university credentials must be evaluated by National Association of Credentials
Evaluation Services (http://www.naces.org/)
TOEFL: minimum score for Paper-based:550; Computer-based:210; or Internet-based:79
Or IELTS: minimum score of 6.5 overall
Department Application: M.A., M.S. or Ph.D. Program in Earth Sciences
Submit the following materials to the DES Graduate Coordinator - Andrew Mickelson:
- Department Graduate Program Application
- Statement of research interests
- Three letters of recommendation
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV), required for assistantship applicants
Students interested in graduate programs with the Center for Earthquake Research and
Information (CERI) should also contact the CERI Assistant Director Administration
& Finance (Michelle Smith) for further application information.
Center for Earthquake Research and Information
3890 Central Ave.
Memphis, TN 38152
901-678-2007 Office and 901-678-4734 Fax
Department Application: GIS Certificate
Submit the following materials to Director of the GIS Certificate Program - Dr. Esra Ozdenerol:
- GIS Certificate Application Form
- Letter of intent
- Two letters of recommendation
In addition, submit the required materials as described in Part I for Graduate Admissions.
More information about the GIS Certificate Program can be found at www.memphis.edu/des/esra-ozdenerol/gis-certificate.htm
Top of Page