Career and Psychological Counseling Center
University of Memphis Photo

Who can use the Counseling Center’s services?

We offer free counseling services to students enrolled for at least six credit hours in the current Spring or Fall semester.  Spring and Fall semester students can come to counseling in the Summer without taking Summer classes.  Students can walk in Monday – Friday between 10 am and 2 pm to get the ball rolling and meet with Center staff.  During this first brief visit to the Center, staff creates a file for the student, assigns them to a counselor, and schedules the first appointment for that student with their counselor.  Typically, students return for a meeting with their assigned counselor within a week.  Thereafter, you can schedule your appointments directly with your counselor.

What types of problems do students bring to counseling?

There is no problem too large or too small to bring to counseling: worries about grades, relationship problems, depression, family concerns, learning challenges, crisis support needs – you name it.  We are here for you.

What kind of support is there for GLBT students or students that are just beginning to explore issues related to their sexuality?

The SafeZone Program at the U of M exists to support gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, intersexed, and questioning U of M students, faculty and staff.  The SafeZone works  to educate the entire campus community on concerns relating to GLBTIQ issues. For more information, see

How do I go about getting an appointment?

Come in to 214 Wilder Tower, any day between 10 am and 2 pm. Walk-ins are seen during these times and a counselor is selected to meet during times that work for the student's schedule according to counselor availability. After a client is assigned a counselor, appointments can be made or canceled by phone.  Your first time in gets the ball rolling.  No appointment is necessary for that one; just come in Monday – Friday between 10 am and 2 pm.

Do I need my student ID to make an appointment?

Students may be asked to show a valid student ID or simply provide their their student “U” number when they come in the first time. If you don’t have your ID with you, we can likely access it online.

Is there a fee for counseling?

No!  We offer free counseling services to students enrolled for at least six credit hours in the current Spring or Fall semester.  Spring and Fall semester students can come to counseling in the Summer without taking Summer classes.  Students can walk in Monday – Friday between 10 am and 2 pm to get the ball rolling and meet with Center staff.

How do I arrange career testing?

Call 901-678-5305 or come in Monday – Friday between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm to discuss your interest with a counselor. Counseling is free, but additional help can be obtained by taking tests available through our office (The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator or MBTI and the Strong Interest Inventory). These tests cost $20 each. After completing the test(s), students schedule a follow-up appointment to review the results with a counselor. 

I'm not a student. Can I seek career counseling/testing?

Career counseling for NON-students is available for a one-time fee of $75.00. We ask that this be paid before the first session.  It covers all career services provided by the Center for non-students, including counseling, career assessments and printouts.

How do I get tested for Learning Disorders?

To be put on the list, students should come in between 10 am and 2 pm.  A counselor will meet with you to learn about your concerns and make sure you sign up for the appropriate testing.  The testing process usually requires two 2-hour sessions, with a follow-up visit to review the results.

Is there a fee for Learning Disorder testing?

There is a $200 fee payable before testing begins.  Only enrolled U of M students are eligible for this testing.

How do I sign up for the Alcohol/Drug Education Program if I've been mandated by the Judicial and Ethical Programs Office?

Come in to the Counseling Center at 214 Wilder Tower Monday – Friday between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.  Subsequent appointments are made according to the requirements of the Student Conduct mandate, and are usually made in the counselor's office. These appointments are usually one on one with an assigned counselor.  That counselor determines the total number of sessions to be completed. Once completed, a letter of notification of completion is sent to the Student Conduct Office.

What is group counseling? Do I have to talk if I don't want to? Is it confidential?

Group counseling offers students an opportunity to connect with their peers.  We offer a variety of group counseling opportunities during the school year.  Topics vary and include areas of interest and support needs including stress and anxiety, multicultural concerns, and relationship challenges.  Group counseling is a great way to develop personal awareness and to connect with peers working with the same issues.  Members are encouraged to participate, but no one is forced to say more than they are comfortable with. Group leaders are professional and experienced in creating a safe and confidential environment.

What kinds of groups are available?

It varies, semester by semester. Previous groups have included Shyness Group, Women's Support Group, Gay, Lesbian & Bisexual Support Group, and African-American Women's Support Group, as well as a Bi-Polar Disorder Support Group. Time-limited groups (10 sessions or less) have also been available and have included Assertiveness, Career Development, and Substance Abuse Education groups. Every semester we introduce new topics that we think might interest students.  We’re always open to new ideas, so feel free to suggest one!

How do I apply for a counseling practicum at the Center?

Applications are available in 214 Wilder Tower or on this website.

What is the Relaxation Zone?

Our new Relaxation Zone is available to students Monday-Friday.  It is a place for students to relax and unwind.   We offer reclining massage chairs, a biofeedback computer station, and individual and small group instruction (“Wellness Breaks”) on a variety of wellness skills like Mindfulness, The Natural Breath, and Introduction to Meditation.  We are excited about the Zone and continue to invest in making it an oasis for U of M students.

  • The Relaxation Zone is open 9:00 – 4:00 Monday-Friday. 
  • Participating in counseling is NOT required to indulge in the relaxation resources available in the Zone.  However, we do ask that you attend one orientation session before you use the special resources here.  Orientation sessions are conducted several times a week or by appointment. 
  • Please call or stop by the center to sign up for an orientation session as well as future “Wellness Breaks”. 


Counseling Center
214 Wilder Tower
Phone: 901/678-2068

Quick Links

Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2015 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Last Updated: 4/2/15