Admission to the PhD program requires an MA in Communication, Rhetoric, or a related
field from an accredited institution. Multiple criteria will be used when considering
a student's application for admission, including, but not limited to, undergraduate
and graduate grade point average, GRE scores, personal goals statement, writing samples,
relevant employment history, letters of recommendation, and the quality of the applicant's
writing. The number of students admitted to the PhD program will depend on availability
of adequate faculty supervision and other department resources. GRE scores are required
for every applicant.
To apply to the PhD program, you must complete two steps:
1. Apply to the University of Memphis Graduate School.
2. Apply to the Department of Communication.
You will need:
You will need:
- Two writing samples from your graduate work, uploaded as PDF files
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty members from your MA program who can
attest to your potential as a doctoral student. Please do not submit letters from
current or former non-academic employers.
- Your letter writers should send their their letters directly to Rika Hudson, either
as a pdf attachment to email@example.com, or a hard copy mailed to Department of Communication, 212 Art & Communication Bldg,
Memphis, TN, 38152.
- If you are interested in receiving an assistantship, please complete the assistantship application.
- The department application is best viewed in Firefox or Chrome.
Please note: Your application to the Department of Communication will not be processed until all
components of your application have been completed (including the University of Memphis
Graduate School Application).