Multiple criteria will be used when considering applicant admission, including, but
not limited to, undergraduate and graduate grade point average, GRE scores, personal
goals statement, relevant employment history, letters of recommendation, and quality
of the applicant's writing sample. The number of students admitted to the MA program
will depend on availability of adequate faculty supervision and other department resources.
GRE scores are required for every applicant.
To apply to the MA program, you must complete two steps:
1. Apply to the University of Memphis Graduate School.
2. Apply to the Department of Communication.
You will need:
- Completed Graduate School application
- Non-refundable fee ($35 domestic, $60 international)
- Official transcripts
- Official test scores - GRE (TOEFL if applicable)
- Graduate Admissions Application deadlines do not coincide with the Communication Department's
deadlines. Be sure to follow the guidelines for both the Graduate School and the Department
of Communication. We cannot review your department application until the Graduate
School notifies us that all of your materials have been submitted to them.
- Transcripts must be sent to the University Graduate School. Applicants who have received
their undergraduate or Master’s degree from the University of Memphis should submit
an unofficial transcript, which can be found on Spectrum. Please do not send transcripts
to the Department.
- GRE test scores (scores must be sent to the University Graduate School using ETS code
- Graduate School Address:
Office of Graduate Admissions
The University of Memphis
101 Wilder Tower
You will need:
- Two writing samples from your undergraduate work, uploaded as PDF files.
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty members at your undergraduate institution(s)
who can attest to your potential as a master’s student. Please do not submit letters
from current or former non-academic employers.
- Your letter writers should send their their letters directly to Rika Hudson, either
as a pdf attachment to email@example.com, or a hard copy mailed to Department of Communication, 212 Art & Communication Bldg,
Memphis, TN, 38152.
- If you are interested in receiving an assistantship, please complete the assistantship application.
- The department application is best viewed in Firefox or Chrome.
Please note: Your application to the Department of Communication will not be processed until
all components of your application have been completed (including the University of
Memphis Graduate School Application).