To be eligible for admission to the Communication Honors program a student must meet
the following requirements:
(1) declare a major in Communication
(2) have completed 12 hours of Communication coursework
(3) have Department of Communication faculty member as an adviser, and
(4) make an honors application to the adviser.
Applications may be downloaded here (Word document).
To be awarded departmental honors at graduation with the designation “With Honors
in Communication,” a student must fulfill the following requirements: (1) maintain
a 3.5 GPA in communication coursework
(2) maintain a 3.5 GPA overall
(3) complete all Department of Communication major requirements
(4) complete an independent thesis or an independent film/video project sponsored
by a Department of Communication faculty member consisting of six hours over two semesters:
three hours in research preparation (COMM 3330, 4381, or 4891), and three hours in
completing the thesis project (COMM 4999), and
(5) successful defense of the thesis.
An honors seminar (or equivalent) will be offered at least once per academic year.
Any honors student can have a communication course designated as honors with permission
of the instructor and the honors program director. For more information on the honors
program contact Dr. Sandra Sarkela (email@example.com).
Lambda Pi Eta Communication Honor Society (U of M's Epsilon Beta Chapter)
U of M Helen Hardin Honors Program