ONLINE BASIC MUSIC THEORY COURSE
Instructor: Dr. Scott L. Hines
This is a not-for-credit, preparatory music theory course which covers the foundations
of music theory including the keyboard, music notation, accidentals, intervals, key
signatures, major and minor scales, rhythm, triads, chords, and basic cadences. Completion
of the online course gives students the knowledge they need to successfully write
college level basic music theory entrance exams (such as the University of Memphis
entrance exam). The course offers highly focused, interactive presentations and randomized
on-demand exercises. It not only explains the fundamentals of music to someone who
has little or no music experience, but gives them infinite exercises to practice intervals,
scales, notation and rhythm, from any computer, right inside their web browser. Students
can take the course at their own pace from any computer connection.
Dates for the Online Theory Course: Summer 2013: June 3 – July 31, 2013
Steps To Get Started
1. Register with the Community Music School for "Online Basic Music Theory" at http://memphis.edu/cms/register.php ($135).
2. Obtain your access code for "OnMusic Fundamentals" from the online theory website:
https://www.store.connect4education.com/ ($99.95) as soon as you have registered with the Community Music School.
3. Take the course at your own pace, starting June 3, 2013, submitting all assignments,
quizzes and exams by midnight of July 31, 2013.
- As you work through the course, you may contact the instructor, Dr. Scott L. Hines,
for any music theory related questions. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 901-678-2557.
- For help with course registration, contact the Community Music School office by phone,
901-678-4244 or email email@example.com.
- Contact Technical Support at http://connect4education.com if you need help getting set up on your computer.
Materials: $99.95 (Access Code from http://www.store.connect4education.com). Click on "On Music Fundamentals".
Total Cost: $234.95
INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS ENTERING THE UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS
Students who have auditioned for entry into the Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music and
have been advised to take the online basic music theory course must successfully complete
the course in order to be accepted into the first course of the Music School's theory
sequence, which is only offered in the fall semester.