ENSEMBLES & GROUP CLASSES
Ensembles and Group classes offer instruction in a supportive and comfortable environment.
They are a great way to meet others with interests and goals similar to your own.
TIGER YOUTH WIND ENSEMBLE
The Tiger Youth Wind Ensemble (TYWE) is comprised of talented high-school wind and
percussion students (9-12 grade) from the metropolitan Memphis area. Members will
enhance their skills as musicians and ensemble performers through the exploration
of advanced-level repertoire in an inspired rehearsal atmosphere, along with opportunities
for chamber music performance. Master classes and sectionals with UM faculty and graduate
students will provide members with direct technique and musicianship instruction.
The experience culminates in shared concerts with the University of Memphis Wind Ensemble
and Symphony Band at the end of the fall and spring semesters.
Spring On-Site Audition Dates:
Saturday, December 13, 2014 (preferred)
Saturday, January 10, 2015
First Rehearsal – January 11, 2015
Concert: Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 3:00 pm
- Students must be in grades 9-12 during the 2014-2015 school year
- Students will audition in person on the UM campus on Saturday, December 13, 2014 or
Saturday, January 10, 2015 (between 10:00 and 2:00 PM)
- Students interested in the Honors Chamber Ensembles must audition on or before January
- Auditions may also be submitted on CD by US mail, or e-mailed as an mp3 file
- CDs and mp3s must be postmarked NO LATER THAN January 10, 2015
- Auditions will consist of:
- Prepared piece, two to five minutes in length
- Ascending and descending Chromatic Scale in as many octaves as possible
- In addition to standard wind ensemble/concert band instrumentation, the TYWE seeks
performers on piano, string bass, and harp. Students who play multiple instruments
(e.g. piccolo and flute, clarinet and bass clarinet, any of the saxophones, etc.)
should indicate so when scheduling an audition, although only one audition is necessary.
What does it mean to be a musician in the University of Memphis Tiger Youth Wind Ensemble?
- Meeting the best high school musicians from the Tri-State Area
- Side-by-Side performance with the University of Memphis Wind Ensemble
- Coaching from University of Memphis graduate students
- Masterclasses with World-Renowned University Faculty
- Perform concerts at the Michael D. Rose Theater
- Take a yearly tour and trip
- Free or reduced tickets to Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music Performances
Sunday 2:30 – 5:00 pm (1/11 – 4/29/15)
MEMPHIS AREA CHILDREN’S CHOIR (MACC)
This ensemble is dedicated to providing children from the community with opportunities
for exposure to meaningful and inspiring choral music. All children are welcome to
participate in achieving a common goal of making music and developing their instincts
in artistic expression. Rehearsals will be at the University of Memphis Park Avenue
Campus – Building #2.
Repertoire: Encompasses a variety of styles that will instill cultural awareness and
musicianship, through an artistic and educational approach.
Auditions: Thursday, December 18, 2014 from 4-6 pm for children ages 8 - 12. Call
Community Music School office at 901.678.4244 to schedule an audition time.
Tuesday 5:00 – 6:00 pm (1/27 – 4/21/15)
Tuition: $75 (12 weeks)
KEYBOARD FOR KIDS
This class is for students with little or no experience in piano or electronic keyboard.
Learn the basic skills needed to play the instrument.
Saturday 3:00 - 4:00 pm (1/31 – 4/25/15)
Tuition: $192 (12 weeks)
This group class is for students with little or no experience. Learn the basic skills
needed to play the instrument.
Saturday 1:00 - 2:00 pm (1/31 – 4/25/15)
Tuition: $192 (12 weeks)