Marian Levy, Dr.P.H., R.D., Master's of Public Health Program
University of Memphis
Memphis, TN 38152
Marian Levy, Dr.P.H., R.D., is Associate Professor and Director of the Master's of
Public Health program at the University of Memphis. Dr. Levy received her doctorate
in public health from UCLA. A registered dietitian, she has conducted several research
initiatives to reduce pediatric obesity, increase access to care, and reduce health
disparities. As a consultant to the Memphis and Shelby County Health Department,
her responsibilities included developing the Pandemic Influenza Response Plan for
Memphis and Shelby County. Her research interests include school-based health promotion,
cultural competence, Latino health, and community-based participatory research. She
is also on faculty at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in the College
of Allied Health Sciences and the College of Dentistry.
A selection of Dr. Levy's publications follows:
- Beesman G, Levy M, Stender S, Hare M. (2007) Appearance of Body Morphology: Poor Screening
Tool for Recognizing Risk of Overweight African American Children in an Urban Pediatric
Clinic. (in review).
- Levy M, Heffner B, Stewart T, Beeman G. (2006) The Efficacy of Asthma Case Management
in an Urban School District in Reducing School Absences and Hospitalizations for Asthma.
J Sch Health, 76 (6): 320-324.
- Levy M and Shmerling JE. An interdisciplinary model of comprehensive school health.
A White Paper: Describing a model for a comprehensive school health system. Tennessee
Hospital Association, February, 2000.
- (Levy) Arbeit ML, Johnson CC, Mott DS, Harsha DW, Nicklas TA, Webber LS, Berenson
GS. (1992) The Heart Smart Cardiovascular School Health Promotion: Behavior correlates
of risk factor change. Prev Med, 21: 18-32.
- (Levy) Arbeit ML, Nicklas TA, Berenson GS. (1992) Considerations of dietary sodium/potassium/energy
ratios of selected foods. J Am Coll Nutr, 11(2): 210-212.
[faculty list by name] [faculty list by department] [faculty list by research area]