Photo by Rhonda Cosentino
The Art Museum at the University of Memphis (AMUM) joined area galleries and museums
in celebrating “The Summer of Cloar,” a multivenue event celebrating famous Memphis
artist Carroll Cloar, born 100 years ago near Earle, Ark. AMUM’s exhibition, “In His
Studio: Carroll Cloar,” will run through Sept. 7.
The U of M revisited its relationship with Cloar in this special exhibition featuring
the artist’s reconstructed studio, donated to the museum by his widow, Patricia Cloar
Milsted. Located in his house on South Greer in Memphis, the studio walls contained
various newspaper clippings, a bullfight poster from his travels to Spain and his
Army Air Corps jacket. Cloar lived and worked in the house until his death in 1993.
In addition to the studio, the exhibition includes some of the artist’s earliest work,
including lithographs from Cloar’s time as a student at the Art Students League of
New York (1930-1947). His series of lithographs, based on photographs sent to him
by relatives, of the land and people of East Arkansas earned Cloar his earliest recognition
as an artist.
He was awarded the McDowell Traveling Fellowship in 1940, and one lithograph in the
series was chosen to be displayed in the Art in America Building during the 1939-40
New York World’s Fair.
The exhibition included works on loan from private collections, Pat Cloar Milstead,
David Lusk Gallery, the Pink Palace Family of Museums and the University of Memphis
Libraries Special Collections.
The addition of privately-owned pieces completes the display of the Cloar’s known
lithographs. The library’s Carroll and Pat Cloar Collection houses an archive of drawings,
sketches, family photos and stories in the artist’s own words.
For more information, go to AMUM's Carroll Cloar page or call 901.678.2224.