COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES
*** NEW INFORMATION ***
The Tiger Scholarship Manager is the new, secure, online system that offers a centralized location for all scholarship opportunities at the University of Memphis.
The New System offers a centralized, searchable database, an online application process,
tools to help match you to eligible scholarships, and tools to upload supportive documents
(i.e. resumes, essays, recommendations letters, financials, etc.)
The new system will automatically notify you when you are selected for awards. You
can login to your secure, online account to review requirements and accept your awards.
To access the new system, login to the UofM portal > Go to the Accounts Tab > Click on the Tiger Scholarship link on the Scholarships
Channel. How To Guide
Departmental Scholarships in the
College of Arts and Sciences
The following scholarships are offered by departments in the College of Arts and Sciences
and by the Dean's office of the College. For more information about any of these scholarships,
please contact the individual named for each department. To apply for these scholarships,
please use the new, secure, online Tiger Scholarship Manager.
The Department of Military Science Website provides additional information on scholarships.
- Army ROTC-funded merit-based 2, 3, and 4 YR scholarships
- Special STEM and Language Scholarships
- University-funded Leadership Scholarships
Our scholarship page is at www.memphis.edu/armyrotc/scholarships.htm
CONTACT PERSON: Martha Brown
- Botany Book and Scholarship Fund
- Edward T. Browne Biology Scholarship
- Goldye Feinstone Endowed Fund
- Dr. Virginia M. Norton and Dan Norton Scholarship
- Priscilla S. Rushton Biology Scholarship
- Dr. Omar E. Smith Enrichment Fund Scholarship
CONTACT PERSON: Peter Bridson
The Department of Chemistry Website provides additional information on scholarships.
- CIBA Specialty Chemicals Scholars Fund
- J. C. Williams Memorial Scholarship
- William H. Zuber Memorial Scholarship
CONTACT PERSON: Kriangsiri Malasri
- Peter I. Neathery Memorial Scholarship
- Peter I. Neathery Fellowship Fund [graduate]
Visit the Department of Computer Science website for additional information.
Criminology and Criminal Justice
CONTACT PERSON: Randy Dupont
- Judge Kenneth A. Turner Scholarship
- The Jamille Kizer Book Scholarship
- The Association of Certified Fraud Examiners – Mid-South Chapter Book Scholarship
CONTACT PERSON: Jerry Bartholomew
- Julius Augustus Davies Anthropology Fellowship [graduate]
- Lounsbury Geology Scholarship
- Dr. Paul H. Sisco, Sr., Memorial Scholarship
CONTACT PERSON: Dale Williams [undergraduate]; Sarah Ellis [graduate]
- Emalie Appleton Brooks Memorial Endowed Scholarship [undergraduate]
- Elizabeth Phillips Memorial Scholarship [undergraduate]
- Mid-South Society for Technical Communication Scholarship [undergraduate or graduate]
- Graduate Research Award [graduate]
- Dr. Lawrence and Sarah Wynn Fellowship [graduate]
- Dr. Lawrence and Sarah Wynn Scholarship for the Study of Romantic and Victorian Literature
- William and Martha Donigan Scholarship [graduate]
- Ruth and Henry Loeb Scharff Scholarship [graduate]
CONTACT PERSON: William J Thompson
- Mary Pettus Thomas Memorial Scholarship
CONTACT PERSON: Karen Bradley
- Bob Baker Memorial Scholarship
- Paul R. Coppock Scholarship in History and Journalism [awarded every other year in
- Belle McWilliams Scholarship
- Ruth and Harry Woodbury Fellowship [graduate]
CONTACT PERSON: Robert Blanton
- Memphis in May International Festival International Studies Scholarship
CONTACT PERSON: Joy Clay
- Bornblum Judaic Studies Teacher Training Scholarship
CONTACT PERSON: James Campbell
- R.P. and Dorothy Clark Scholarship
- Kaltenborn Mathematics Scholarship
- Mathematical Sciences Enrichment Fund Scholarship
CONTACT PERSON: Hoke Robinson
- Carroll Bowman Scholarship
- Craig R. Garrett Memorial Scholarship
- Spindel Dissertation Fellowship [graduate]
CONTACT PERSON: M. Shah Jahan
- Albert H. Woollett Scholarship
CONTACT PERSON: Matthias Kaelberer
- Morris Fair Memorial Scholarship
CONTACT PERSON: Marion Powless
- Dr. Roland Frye Achievement Award [graduate]
College Scholarships [not discipline-specific]
The following scholarships are for undergraduate students only, unless otherwise indicated. All scholarships have been awarded for the 2013-2014 academic year. An announcement
will be posted here during the Spring semester indicating the procedure and deadline
for applying for scholarships for 2014-2015.
Please review the information for the scholarships below to see if you qualify. If
you still have questions, contact Dr. Eric Link, Assistant Dean.
Reed C. Baskin Legacy Scholarship in honor of Mildred and Carl Baskin
This scholarship is awarded to a student majoring in any discipline in the College
of Arts and Sciences who has a minimum ACT score of 23, who lives in the Mid-South
region, and who is a proven leader in the community. Recipients must maintain a minimum
cumulative GPA of 3.0 and participate in fifteen hours of community service.
College of Arts and Sciences Alumni Chapter Book Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to students who are enrolled full-time as juniors or seniors
in the College of Arts and Sciences, and who have a minimum GPA of 3.25.
General Herbert L. Grills Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to a student majoring in any discipline in the College
of Arts and Sciences. Freshmen with a minimum ACT of 27, and upperclassmen with a
minimum GPA of 2.80 are eligible. Students must be enrolled full-time.
Dr. Roger Hiatt Pre-Med Studies Scholarship
The recipients of this scholarship shall be students enrolled at the University of
Memphis and pursuing Pre-Med Studies. Preference will be given to rising sophomores
and juniors with a minuimum cumulative GPA of 3.50, reflecting academic success at
the University and promise in medical school. Recipients may reapply for funding for
a subsequent year providing they maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5.
This scholarship is awarded to students majoring in any discipline in the College
of Arts and Sciences. Students must be enrolled full-time and have proven academic
Dr. Russell A. Jones Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to seniors majoring in Biology, Chemistry, or a related
science discipline, and who are pursuing careers at physicians. Recipients must be
full-time students, and have and maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 overall and in their
Matthew Seth McGaughran Scholarship
The recipients of this scholarship shall be qualified and deserving students enrolled
at The University of Memphis. Scholarship recipients shall be students pursuing a
degree in History, Sociology, or Geography through the College of Arts and Sciences,
have a minimum ACT score of 23, or a grade point average of 3.00. Preference will
be given to high-ability students with a demonstrated financial need.
Dr. H. Franklin Miller Memorial Scholarship
This award(s) shall be given to junior or senior pre-dentistry students enrolled in
the College of Arts & Sciences.
Recipients must demonstrate a financial need and have a 3.25 GPA. Applicants must
submit one letter of recommendation and a statement on their interest in a career
Joseph N. Mitchell and Nancy Mitchell Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to transfer students who have normally completed two years
of college from a four-year institution or an Associates Degree from a community college.
Students must be enrolled full-time, with a declared major in the College of Arts
and Sciences. They must maintain a GPA of 3.25. There is a possibility of renewal
for a total of four semesters. Candidates must apply each year for renewed support.
Marcus Orr Humanities Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to students pursuing a degree in the Humanities (English,
Foreign Languages, Philosophy, History, Art History, or Musicology). Students must
have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.50 or other demonstrated potential for academic
distinction. Students must be enrolled full-time.
Dr. Naseeb Shaheen Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to students majoring in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics,
or Geography who plan to become high school teachers in one or more of these subjects.
Students must be enrolled full-time, be classified at juniors, seniors, or entering
MAT/Secondary Licensure students, display financial need, maintain a cumulative GPA
of at least 2.50, and be residents of Tennessee or of one of the following: Desoto
or Marshall County in Mississippi, Crittenden County in Arkansas.
Thomas N. Stern Pre-Med Scholarship endowed by the Stern Cardiovascular Center
This scholarship is awarded to students pursuing pre-med studies. Preference is given
to seniors with a minimum GPA of 3.50, with demonstrated financial need, acceptance
into medical school, and a permanent address that is within a 75-mile radius of the
University of Memphis.