College of Arts and Sciences
CAS Advising Guide


Academic Counseling Center – ACC – Wilder Tower 212, 678-2062 – advising for undecided students and those with an ACT reading subscore of 18 or below, an ACT English subscore of 17 or below, and for Biology majors who have not yet completed CHEM 1110/1111

Admissions – Wilder Tower 101 – (1) to begin the process for TCR (Transfer Credit Request) forms for students planning to take transfer courses elsewhere, (2) to be readmitted:, and (3) to correct an incorrectly loaded course on the transcript of a transfer student

ALEKS Placement – the math assessment, accessed online through the My Memphis portal on the Student Tab, details regarding course placement and more:

Center for Athletic Academic Services – Wilder Tower 600 and 700, 678-2714 - provides academic services for student-athletes,

Counseling and Psychological Testing – Wilder Tower 214, 678-2068 -

Disability Resources Services – Brister 110, 678-2880 – provides resources for students with disabilities,

Educational Support Program (ESP) -

  • Academic Enhancement Center (AEC) - 207 Mitchell Hall- (901) 678-5226
  • Business Learning Center (BLC) -256 Fogelman Building- (901) 678-3912
  • English Learning Center (ELC) -225 Patterson Hall- (901) 678-2059
  • Math Learning Center -143 Dunn Hall- (901) 678-2704
  • Science Learning Center (SLC) -207 Mitchell Hall- (901) 678-2704
  • Richardson Towers Learning Center (RTLC)
  • Carpenter Complex Learning Center (CCLC)

Financial Aid Office – Wilder 103, 678-4825 - to check on specific questions regarding amounts of aid or hours needed; students should check myMemphis for the deadlines to pay or if their aid has paid; or refer to charts sent in a separate e-mail

General Education –The courses that can be used for General Education requirements are listed in the catalog online.

  • For transfer work that might be used for General Education, advisors can use the Transfer Equivalency tables to see if a course is already approved:
  • If the course has been approved as General Education but is not pulling into UMdegree, or if you are want to ask if a course can be used for General Education, enter a petition in UMdegree so that it can be considered.

Housing – 678-1641,

Parking – 120 Zach Curlin Parking Garage, 678-2212,

Permits – Refer students to individual departments for permits, but most departments do not issue permits to overload class seats.

Pre-Professional Advising – Students meet with the advisor of their major to select courses, but should also meet with Jessica Kelso, the Pre-Health and Pre-Law advisor, to ensure that they are on track for their chosen field, 678-5454 for appointments:

Registrar – Wilder Tower 003, 678-2810, information for students and faculty/staff regarding registration and related processes:

Scholarships – Wilder Tower 104, 678-3213, much information about scholarships, Hope, service hours,

Undecided Transfer Students – transfer students who have not selected a major are advised by Trellis Morgan and may make an appointment using the Appointments Plus calendar –

Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2015 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Last Updated: 1/26/15