An ACADEMIC FRESH START is provided for undergraduate students who have gained maturity
through extended experience outside higher education institutions and have demonstrated
better than average academic performance following their return to the University
of Memphis. It allows for the calculation of the applicant's grade point average and
credit hours toward graduation to be based only on work done after returning to college.
Preliminary information and application forms may be obtained from the Center for
Academic Retention and Enrichment Services. Requirements to be satisfied by a student
requesting an Academic Fresh Start toward a baccalaureate degree are as follow:
- Separation from all academic institutions for at least four years.
- Formal application must be made prior to completion of 24 semester hours of earned
graded course work following the readmission or admission to the University of Memphis.
(NOTE: Schedule an appointment to submit your application and academic plan with CARES
the semester prior to completing 24 semester hours. The application can be found on
the “Forms” link of this website.)
- Developmental studies courses (DSP) will not count toward the 24 semester hours of
earned course work.
- The applicant must complete at least 6 semester hours of earned graded course work
within one semester.
- Only courses for degree credit may be counted.
- At the time of application for ACADEMIC FRESH START, the student must have a GPA of
at least 2.50 for all work attempted after returning to college.
- Formal application describing the academic degree plan must be submitted to the Center
of Academic Retention and Enrichment Services. (NOTE: Schedule an appointment to submit
your application and academic plan with CARES the semester prior to completing 24
semester hours. The application can be found on the “Forms” link of this website.)
- After the academic plan is reviewed, the Center for Academic Retention and Enrichment Services
will instruct you of the process to forward the plan to the appropriate college dean
Upon approval of the college dean, the student will be granted an Academic Fresh Start.
It may be granted once. The student’s permanent record will remain a record of all
work; however, the student will forfeit the use for degree purposes at the University
of Memphis, any college or University credit earned prior to the four-year separation
indicated above. The date of the fresh start will coincide with the date of re-entry
following prolonged separation, and the permanent record will note that a fresh start
was made and the date of the fresh start. The record will also carry the notation,
“GPA and credit totals are based only on work beginning with that date.” That date
will be treated as the date of entry in determining which Catalog may be used for