BIOLOGY BS: minimum 36 hours in biology courses (18 core, 18 upper division electives)
BIOLOGY CORE - required of all majors (18 hours)
- BIOL 1110/1111 - General Biology I
- BIOL 1120/1121 - General Biology II
- BIOL 3130 - Cell Biology
- BIOL 3072/3073 - Genetics w/lab
- BIOL 4100 Evolution
Plus an additional 18 Upper Division Biology credit hours
- Biology Course List
- Completion of total 36 hours in biology courses (18 core, 18 upper division electives)
- may include maximum 5 credit hours BIOL Research: 4000, 4001, or 4570
- may apply one UD statistics course: MATH 4611, PSYC 3001 or 3010, SOCI 3311
- One of the UD BIOL electives must be an "Organismal" based course (3200,3620, 4245,
4375, 4640, 4644, 4740, 4744, or 4900)
- One additional UD BIOL elective must also have a laboratory component (can be a lecture/lab
course or a stand-alone lab course)
Required Chemistry, Physics, Math courses
- 16 hours in chemistry courses (1110/1111, 1120/1121, 3310/3301, 3511/3501)
- 8 hours in physics courses (2010/2011, 2020/2021 –trig based or 2110/2111,2120/2121
– calc based)
- Elementary Calculus or Calculus I (1830 or 1910)
Students must earn a grade of at least "C-" in CHEM 1110/111 before starting BIOL
1110/1111 or any other major's level biology courses.
Students must earn a grade of at least "C-" in all biology courses applied toward
the major, the minor, and in all required chemistry, physics, and mathematical courses.
Students must earn a grade of at least "C-" in BIOL 1110/1111 and BIOL 1120/1121,
before enrolling in any upper division course.
Any required or elective course applied toward the major or minor may be repeated
once to earn a minimum grade of "C-". To repeat a course a second time, a student
may apply for and receive special permission from the department Undergraduate Studies
Committee. Application information is available in the BARC. A student may not repeat
a course three times in order to receive a minimum grade of "C-".