Take the ALEKS Assessment
General Instructions for Taking the Assessment
- Use a pencil and paper to work out the answers to each question.
- Do NOT use textbooks or on-line resources.
- At the beginning of the ALEKS assessment, you will go through a brief tutorial that
will introduce you to the ALEKS system and interface. You will be shown how to enter
different types of answers, how to use the ALEKS calculator, and how to graph something
- Do your best to answer each question correctly.
- Enter your answers carefully. Once you submit your response to a question, you cannot
return to that question.
- Select "I don't know" only if you have no idea how to work a problem. If you select
"I don't know" repeatedly, it will lower your score on the ALEKS Assessment.
- If your computer locks up or freezes during the middle of the assessment, try hitting
the "Refresh" button on your browser. If that does not work, close your browser and
log back in. The work you have already submitted will be saved, and the assessment
will pick up at the point you left off.
- When you complete the assessment, you will see a screen with a pie chart and the % score (% Mastery) that you earned on the ALEKS Assessment. You may want
to print this screen for your own records.
For your own benefit (to ensure proper course placement) you must solve all problems
on the ALEKS Assessment without assistance. This means that you cannot use any books
or online resources, and you cannot get assistance from any other person. As a student at the University of Memphis, you are a full member of the University
community. As a member of the University community, you are subject to the responsibilities
of that community. When you violate a University regulation, you are open to disciplinary
action of the University. A student at the University of Memphis has the responsibility
to be honest in all academic and personal relationships. Academic integrity is imperative
to the progression to real knowledge and to a student's capacity to apply that knowledge
to life's problems. Personal integrity is what permits a student to realize goals.
You will need:
- Pencil and paper
- Your UofM user name and password
- Approximately 90 minutes to complete the assessment (this time will vary for each
To take the ALEKS assessment from home log into the myMemphis portal.
- Please enter your UofM user name and your password.
- The username corresponds to the letters appearing before '@memphis.edu' in your University
of Memphis email address.
- After logging into the myMemphis portal, click on the 'Student' tab to locate the ALEKS channel.
Install the ALEKS Plug-In and Check System Setup
- Visit http://www.aleks.com/downloads to install the ALEKS Plug-In.
- Restart your browser and/or your computer to complete the installation. (Be certain
to quit your browser completely, and restart before proceeding.)
- Visit http://www.aleks.com/support/troubleshooting to verify that you have the setup complete and ready to go.
- Return to the myMemphis portal site to login and take the ALEKS Assessment.
To take the ALEKS assessment from a University of Memphis TigerLan Lab Computer
- Click on the Start Menu.
- Click on the "All Programs" section.
- Click on the "UMware" folder.
- Click on the sub directory entitled "Aleks Math Placement Assessment."
- Click on the link entitled "Aleks Testing."
Clicking on the "Aleks Testing" link will launch Internet Explorer with the ALEKS
placement plugin pre-installed. The student will be directed immediately to the myMemphis
web portal where they can initiate the ALEKS placement testing as previously dictated.