Are You Ready for Your Advising Appointment?
When you meet with your advisor each semester to prepare for the next semester’s courses,
you need to be prepared so that your meeting will go well.
- Schedule an appointment well in advance of your registration time.
- Read the Undergraduate Catalog sections on your degree and your major requirements as well as the General Education requirements.
- Look over any materials your advisor has given you previously regarding your major
and degree, and bring them with you to every appointment.
- Check your UMdegree Worksheet in myMemphis so that you are prepared to ask about anything that is unclear
- Print out a degree sheet and keep a record of the courses you have completed.
- If you are a transfer student, use your degree sheet to note any substitutions made
and approved by your advisor (transfer course used for a UofM requirement)
- Come prepared with a list of questions and any concerns that you would like to discuss.
- Bring a pen or pencil and a printed copy of the Registration Worksheet. If possible, have a rough schedule worked out with the courses you think will fulfill
- Ask your advisor for alternate courses that you can take in the event some courses
are closed or do not fit your schedule.
- If possible, have a rough schedule worked out with the courses you think will fulfill
- Inform your advisor of any changes in your plans since the last time you met- for
example, if you have decided to add a minor or a second major, or if you are planning
to go to graduate school or to professional school after graduation.
- Take a list of other concerns such as problems affecting your academic performance
or career considerations. Your advisor can supply you with contact information for
sources of help on campus, for example, tutoring or personal or career counseling.
Having a list of concerns will ensure that you do not forget to discuss them.
- Thank your advisor for spending time with you.
Your advisor is available to assist you with your college career, but ultimately it
is your responsibility to make appropriate academic choices. Being prepared for each
advising session will ensure that your choices are wise.
Are you ready? Make your appointment now!