How to Transfer to the University of Memphis
Thinking about transferring to the University of Memphis, but aren't sure where to
start? Megan Murphy, a nursing major and fellow transfer student, guides you through
the basic steps in this short video.
The Office of Academic Transfer and Articulation (ACTRAN) helps undergraduate transfer
students determine how courses taken at other institutions will apply at the University
What do we do?
- Discuss admission criteria and the appropriate time to apply
- Offer pre-transfer advising by helping students understand how coursework may apply
towards the general education requirements for a bachelor's degree at the University
- Refer students to the appropriate departmental academic advisor
- Meet with prospective students at the community college and offer a pre-advising session
and an unofficial transcript evaluation
- Serve as an advocate and liaison for transfer students
- Provide academic advising sessions for admitted students
Who is a transfer student?
- If you have taken any college-level courses at a post secondary school since graduating
from high school, you are considered a transfer student. If you took college level
courses during high school you are considered a freshman student with transfer coursework.
What is Transfer?
The progression of students from one institution into another.
What is Articulation?
Articulation is defined as the matching or fitting of courses offered in one institution
toward the satisfaction of a particular degree program in another institution. Articulation
is said to exist when the courses for a program of study, which are offered in one
institution, are recognized by another institution as being comparable to its corresponding
courses, such that students from both institutions are equally prepared for the more
advanced courses offered in the institution conferring the degree in that program
It is communication between two institutions to foster any kind of agreement that
supports transfer. The University is committed to a seamless academic transition.