Study Abroad

The University of Memphis' Study Abroad Office provides the opportunity for students to study in 50 countries abroad and over 200 study sites. Our programs are labeled as bilateral exchanges, faculty-led programs or U of M sponsored programs. Students participating in any of the U of M programs may apply their financial aid and academic scholarships towards the program.

Bilateral Exchanges

U of M bilateral exchange programs are programs that offer students the opportunity to study at one of our partner schools abroad for a semester, academic year or summer. A student from the partner school will have the opportunity to study at the U of M. Students participating in an exchange program pay U of M tuition and the application fee. Students are responsible for paying their housing fees directly to the host institution.

Faculty–Led Programs

U of M faculty and academic departments organize UM study abroad programs for students. Students participating on a faculty-led program earn U of M credit. Course credit varies by program. Our faculty-led programs are offered during winter and summer sessions as well as fall and spring break. Some faculty-led programs are designed as residency programs while others are travel seminars that provide an in-depth introduction to the country. Since these programs are led by U of M faculty, they provide a wonderful opportunity for students to interact with faculty and share an international experience.

U of M Sponsored Programs

To enable us provide more options for study abroad locations the U of M has affiliations with some study abroad program providers. Students may apply to study abroad on any of our affiliated programs. Program costs, application fees and requirements for sponsored programs vary and students should contact the study abroad office for information on the individual sponsors. Students participating in a sponsored program will need to complete the U of M application as well as the program sponsors' application.

If you are participating in a UM sponsored program do not contact the program sponsor before contacting us.

Sponsored programs include the following:

Cultural Experiences Abroad (CEA)

CEA provides study abroad programs to U.S. students in 15 countries and 27 cities across the globe. One of the strengths of a CEA program is its strong student support services. It maintains offices at all study sites with a staff of experienced professionals to help you throughout your study abroad experience. The on-site staff organizes airport pick-up and transportation, serve as academic advisors, cross-cultural counselors and excursion coordinators.

College Consortium for International Studies (CCIS)

CCIS is a partnership of two and four year colleges and universities. CCIS members sponsor 90 study abroad programs in 29 countries around the world. CCIS provides an opportunity for students without any foreign language skills to study in non-English language destinations with instruction in English. In addition, most CCIS programs provide students with the option of living with a host family and have very competitive program costs.

Globalinks Learning Abroad

Founded in 1990 as AustraLearn, Globalinks has more than 20 years of experience and over 26,000 alumni. They are partnered with hundreds of universities and provide a wide variety of quality programs, strong on-site support, and personalized attention.

Institute for Study Abroad – Butler University (IFSA-Butler)

IFSA-Butler is a non-profit organization founded in 1998 at Butler University. They maintain offices in all their program study sites to provide student support services. IFSA-Butler currently operates in 11 countries. IFSA-Butler partner institutions are highly recognized academic institutions such as the University of Oxford and the London School of Economics in England.

International Student Exchange Program (ISEP)

ISEP is a network of 275 colleges and universities in 39 countries cooperating to provide affordable exchange programs. ISEP students have the unique opportunity to immerse themselves into their host institution and host culture.

ISEP offers students two options:

ISEP-Exchanges: reciprocal exchange among ISEP Member institutions. Exchanges are between US and International Members. Thus for every U of M student who participates in an ISEP program, an international student from one of the ISEP network of schools will study at the University of Memphis. Students participating in an ISEP-Exchange program pay U of M tuition, housing and a stipend for meals and receive the same benefits from the host institution abroad.

ISEP-Direct: study abroad programs at ISEP Member institutions abroad open to students from ISEP Member and Affiliate institution. Students participating in an ISEP-Direct program pay ISEP direct fees.

Tennessee Consortium for International Studies (TNCIS)

Founded in 2006, TNCIS is a consortium of colleges and universities within the TBR system. Members sponsor and develop programs for students in TBR schools. Credits earned on TNCIS programs will appear as U of M issued grades on your transcripts.

Internships Abroad
Youtube Twitter
Text Only | Print | Got a Question? Ask TOM | Contact Us | Memphis, TN 38152 | 901/678-2000 | Copyright 2015 University of Memphis | Important Notice | Last Updated: 
Last Updated: 6/25/13